What do I need to do as far as Rear suspension on a 78 wagon

tylerw598x

Dec 7, 2009
I have a 78 malibu wagon, I am making it a bracket car it will only ever see high elevens. So what do I need to do as far as control arms, bushings, etc???????
Thanks,
Tyler

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
I have an 80 wagon with a big block in it. I used iceman upper and lower control arms. He's a sponser on here. My springs didn't last too long and I wound up putting air lift bags in them. Have just changed to moroso springs and am putting qa1 shocks on. I had ce engineering 3 way shocks on and they were fine. Ps am selling the ce shocks if interested. Running 11's with a little work on you're suspension should be easy. Hope this helps Wagondude

Fat Rat

Daily Driver
Feb 23, 2009
East Providence, RI
I have an 81 wagon, run's high 12's with a sm blk... Jeg's adjustable uppers, SSM lowers in stock location with poly bushings, Moroso springs with air bags and CE 3way ajustable shocks. Don't think you would need any more than that for 11's. I'm planning a few upgrades for over the winter and hoping for mid to low 12's amd not concerned with rear set-up. Good luck.

Hitman

Dragway Regular
Oct 15, 2004
OKC
My 80 Wagon has stock control arms that are boxed, and a set of cheap ole C/E drag shocks. Gabriel gas shocks up front. Runs 6.80's and 6.90's on the 1/8. Best of 1.49 in the 60'. Car just flat out works, and has for years. If you're going to go 11's, I'd just do the same and save some dough for a good convertor or fuel system.

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Hello
I would suggest for a bracket car going with a set of lift bars (to help eliminate wheel hop and increase your traction performance) and a set of adjustable uppers with a rod end (to allow you set your pinion angle for fine tuning of the rear end). And like mentioned above I would suggest going with a good adjustable rear shock to help with weight transfer. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_60&zenid=u1dfu6hj812u0v6cc1eh6cedv5

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad :D

red barn

Frequent Racer
Mar 5, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I like lift bars on a car with less than 500 HP.
Lakewood, UMI, whoever you prefer.
Adjustable uppers help with pinion adjustment, but if you are not raising or lowering the car, then just a set of non adjustable tubulars can save you some money.
I just run stock shocks and stock springs on the back of cars with lift bars.

thegrassmaster

Amateur Racer
Aug 2, 2009
Chittenango, NY.
My car had boxed lowers and uppers that were cut to length for propper pinion angle, 3 way adj in the front and rears and stock springs....... I've now changed to double adj everything, spherical bushings, anti roll bar and double adj strange coil overs with hypercoil springs.... (Seems to work well, good enough to spank red barn.) :lol:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts