What would you do?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
So i'm kinda getting fed up with my Quadrajet and have been contemplating switching to efi for some time. I'm not scared of efi, but dont need anything too extravagant-no turbo's no nitrous etc. I only have around 300hp and was hoping for something better than an Edelbrock Pro-Jection setup, like maybe a factory TPI setup. Obviously I would need a custom chip burned, Which has turned me off to that setup. I would rather have something I can tune myself on a laptop. I would like a Mega-Squirt, but they seem way more complicated than I need. Like everyone else, I want the cheapest system with the most options for my application :D Anyone have any bright idea's?

basketcase

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 9, 2003
Stockton, CA
www.jackstandracing.com
StreetBu said:
So i'm kinda getting fed up with my Quadrajet and have been contemplating switching to efi for some time. I'm not scared of efi, but dont need anything too extravagant-no turbo's no nitrous etc. I only have around 300hp and was hoping for something better than an Edelbrock Pro-Jection setup, like maybe a factory TPI setup. Obviously I would need a custom chip burned, Which has turned me off to that setup. I would rather have something I can tune myself on a laptop. I would like a Mega-Squirt, but they seem way more complicated than I need. Like everyone else, I want the cheapest system with the most options for my application :D Anyone have any bright idea's?

Buy the Megasquirt assembled...takes away part of the complication.

That's what I'd do.

jrdrag

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
I just built a MegaSquirt myself and so far I am a big fan. I had a bad IAC motor but other than that it has been straight forward. I am waiting on header gaskets to try to fire it up again but I would be more than willing to offer you some advice as to where to get started and such.

Caleb

JP86SS

Amateur Racer
Sep 26, 2004
N.E. Ohio
www.wideopenwest.com
StreetBu said:
...maybe a factory TPI setup. Obviously I would need a custom chip burned, Which has turned me off to that setup. I would rather have something I can tune myself on a laptop.
You can tune the factory GM computers.
http://www.Moates.net has adapters for MAF (165') or SD (730) computers and has chip burning hardware or even "emulators" if you want to change programs without actual chips.
I ripped out an Accell DFI setup and went to factory GM stuff after struggling to keep DOS happy with Calmap.
Made the entire harness myself so everthing fits how I wanted it.
Can burn, switch multiple programs, or emulate if desired. Can obtain free software and definitions, support is good from a large user base.
Have not regretted it one bit.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts