Where does everyone mount their trans coolers?

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
I'm doing a new swap and since LS engines use same side radiator hose openings, I went with a same side radiator. However the radiator tanks are larger, as is the core, and really is more of a universal fit radiator. The LS specific for a G-body was close to $650 :shock:

So where is everybody mounting their aftermarket coolers?

I've got an A/C car and this is what I've come up with so far in the early process of this project. The cooler is a B&M 70274 and it's 11"x11"1.5". I had the core support braces on the car, but have since sort of built my own because of the huge cooler. Ran into a problem that I hope to fix tomorrow with the AN fittings. Unofortunately I planned this whole thing with the radiator out of the car, and when I test fit the fittings pointed straight into the tank on the rad. Guess I'll run one outside the support, and the other around the radiator.

Pics:

P2090049.jpg

P2090050.jpg

P2090051.jpg

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Problem is that it's too wide and the fitting is actually past the support. I'll get some better pictures tomorrow. I am going to remove the condensor and see how the rubber pads on the support are held on, and possible move them inward, seeing as I need to modify the support/radiator so my hood will close.

Lesson learned, it's expensive for a reason!!

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
Nice radiator, that a jegs/summit brand?? I have one in mine I rolled the upper fins over so it would sit in the stock core support. I mounted my transmission cooler through the AC core infront of my radiator with the plastic ties, plan on fabbing up a mount for it this winter... Then I will be able to ditch the AC evaporator core.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
It's actually a Northern rad. I found it over on LS1tech in a guys turbo LQ9 build into his 71' Judge GTO clone. The sizes were the same as our radiators so I picked this one up. Fits pretty decent, just needs some trimming to fit. I think tonight I'll trim the bottom fins off of the radiator, and shorten the ones up top, and move around the isolators on the support for the rad to sit on. If worst comes to worst I'll just ditch the radiator braces all together since this is just a street car.

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
I ran a very similar cooler with my condenser. I installed mine with the fittings "up" and ran the lines through the gap around the radiator.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Bill in NC said:
I ran a very similar cooler with my condenser. I installed mine with the fittings "up" and ran the lines through the gap around the radiator.

Good call! I'm going to get the radiator set in it's place tomorrow after trimming the core support and rad fins and probably do this and build another rad support brace like the one I made, to clear the cooler.

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
Yes, I've seen people use the AC evaporator as a trans cooler.
On my car I took 2 long thin peices of steel. Drilled 4 holes in my core support bolted steel in place, 4 small holes in the steel and mounted my trans cooler to that, so its attached to the core support, but sits on the outside of the core support infront of the radiator completly out of the way.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!