HELP-DOES ANYONE WHERE OR WHO REBUILDS SAGINAW 3SP SHIFTERS

chevymalibu1

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2005
Clearwater Florida
I HAVE A 81 MALIBU BENCH SEAT CAR WITH A FACTORY 3SP SAGINAW transmission IN IT.THE MOTOR AND transmission RUN LIKE A RAPE DATE.
BUT EVERY TIME I TURN AROUND I SM HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE 3 SPEED SHIFTER.

I HAVE LOOKED AND NOWHERE THAT I CAN FIND SELLS AS CLOSE TO STOCK 3SP SHIFTER(I AM NOT INTO ALOT OF MODIFICATION),AND ALL I CAN FIND IS THE UNIVERSAL(INDY.ETC) ONE THAT JEGS SELLS.

I WOULD LIKE TO FIND A GUY OR A PLACE TO SEND IT TOO OR HOW TO TO REBUILD MY STOCK SHIFTER.

ONE FORUM SAID USE A HURST COMPETITION SHIFTER AND TIE BACK THE REVERSE LEVER AND USE IT AS A THREE SPEED SHIFTER,BUT DO NOT WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY IF THAT'S NOT GOING TO WORK.

I WOULD LIKE TO FIND HOW TO REBUILD,OR SEND IT TO SOMEONE,MY FACTORY SHIFTER-IT'S WORKS AWESOME WHEN IT WORKS.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT
THANKS
MARK

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Re: HELP-DOES ANYONE WHERE OR WHO REBUILDS SAGINAW 3SP SHIFT

Hey Mark,
I don't know anyone that rebuilds shifers professionally but I've had a lot of Hurst shifters apart over the years,what usually happens is they're very rarely ever and usually never mantained and get full of road grime and start hanging up having trouble operating properly, all you need to do is remove it,take it apart and clean and lubricate everything and put it back together and
I bet it'll work fine,I've never yet found a 4spd shifter that needed any parts and I imagine your shifter will be the same,by the way
the trick you mentioned,tying back the reverse gate on a four speed shifter will work fine because a four speed shifter is just a three speed with an extra gate,as a matter of fact Hurst used to make a three speed compitition plus back in the day! After you get it put back together I think you can find adjustment procedures on Hursts website,Good Luck!! KillerDave

cbh-7726-80

Amateur Racer
Nov 4, 2010
maple ridge,b.c.

as killerdave said,very likely full of dirt and old grease,they are very easy to get apart,also the come up on e-bay quite often,i bought 4 and built 2 real good ones for my wifes camaro,if you are looking to keep down time to a minimum i recommend you pick up an extra so you have pieces on hand when you do take yours apart,cbh-7726-80

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com

In my experience, the ITM shifter has a shorter throw than the Competition Plus, so you may not be happy with the Hurst.

Did you have success disassembling and cleaning the shifter?

chevymalibu1

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2005
Clearwater Florida

I actually sold the car,but i did a real good clean on it while I still owned it and it made a difference,so thanks
for the info and help.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts