Pitman arm help needed

Rifleman223

Weekend Racer
Sep 21, 2008
Central "oneida" NY
I have an issue, I'm building my car, 83 malibu wagon, the it started as a frame off, so the frame was stripped and I am lacking a steering box. I have purchased one from a 94 jeep grand cherokee but have no clue what pitman arm I need. So far I have seen arms for a 800 box and a metric box. They seem to be different lengths. Can anyone shine some light of wich one would fit the 88 steering components with the jeep box?

Rifleman223

Weekend Racer
Sep 21, 2008
Central "oneida" NY
I have an issue, I'm building my car, 83 malibu wagon, the it started as a frame off, so the frame was stripped and I am lacking a steering box. I have purchased one from a 94 jeep grand cherokee but have no clue what pitman arm I need. So far I have seen arms for a 800 box and a metric box. They seem to be different lengths. Can anyone shine some light of wich one would fit the 88 steering components with the jeep box?
Anybody? I have determined it is a 32 spline with 4 master on the box 1.20" DIA. I'm thinking I need an arm off a 800 series box? Anybody have input on length on drop spec issues by using this arm on my 83 malibu?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
If it is a 800 series box, then yes, you need the pitman arm for a Malibu/Monte Carlo/etc. with 800 box...but...

Is it this box? It looks to be an 800 series box.

Note that the pitman arm for a Camaro or S10 is different than the one you need.

This article states some sector shafts have 4 blind splines instead of 3. When you stated "4 master", is that what you are referring to? If so, the Malibu 800 pitman arm won't fit, and I don't think you will be able to use that box.

This part states it has 4 master splines and is for the 800 box, so contradicts the Lee article. You may be in luck, if the diameter and spline match your box.

I don't know how the stops in your Jeep box differ from the 1983 G body box. If the stops are tighter, you will have a reduced turning radius.

Sorry for the extraneous questions and data; there are too many unknowns regarding the Jeep box.

Rifleman223

Weekend Racer
Sep 21, 2008
Central "oneida" NY
Yes that JZ box appears to be the one, when I was saying 4 master yes I belive thats what your calling blind splines. As far as I was told by the summit racing rep the 800 pitman has a 4 blind spline I also found found this info on a page. What do you think? Maybe ill get lucky. Screenshot_20231117-174024_Chrome.jpg

Rifleman223

Weekend Racer
Sep 21, 2008
Central "oneida" NY
AWESOME! Thanks as long as the geometry of the arm is correct I think I'm good. Motor trend did a article on the jz box, they said 94 worked so fingers crossed. Thanks for your help!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts