Gas pedal (dbw )does not fit in 79 elco-HELP

A

Anonymous

I am installing a 5.3 LM7 from a 2007 classic silverado(2006 parts) into a 79 elco and I'm using all the components from the truck(wire harness, fuel lines trans lines computer etc.)
The drive by wire pedal is made from plastic and hits the trans tunnel on the right (due to the shape)and the steering column on the left. Is it possible the use another pedal from a differant vehicle? Has anyone encountered this before? Is it possible to moldify the plastic pedal(cut and reattach) and not
worry about it coming apart or stranding me?

I understand that the pedals are matched up to the computer and sometimes do not work in differant vehicles. If this is so what should I do? Thanks in advance for any help.

A

Anonymous

do you have to instal the fly-by-wire?it may be easier to use a cable operated TB instead.
i know it would be cool..modifacation time my buddy has it on a '77 trans am w/a 6.0

A

Anonymous

After much thought and discussion with the shop doing the install I took it upon myself to epoxy the modified pedal then I added a steel strap to both the front and left(solid) sides, welded the two together and used 6 self tapping screws to hold it in place- then I epoxyed the whole thing together then I painted it- it's not pretty but I doubt if it will ever come apart [-o<

A

Anonymous

here's how i did mine. Definately easier to just mod the bracket than switch over to cable throttle body.
P1010078.jpg

P1010077.jpg

A

Anonymous

Ehacker: My pedal is not metal.I wish it was. I could have just cut and welded then. I had to fab the pedal because it was plastic and epoxy and strap it together.I hope this will work [-o< .The swap is almost done dancin_banana.gif its been a long wait(10) weeks ](*,) everything is in and now its just the last of the wiring to finish it up, hopefully before the end of the week, then I'll post pictures of the whole swap.

Marco2

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2007
oceanside,ca
I saw a post on a guy biulding a GTO who had a similar problem. He solved it by using the pedal out of a late model monte carlo. Do a search for it in the hybrid/conversion section on LS1tech.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts