Gas Gauge is off

Austin_West_78

Apr 5, 2020
Hi I'm new to this forum, but I got a 78 malibu and I recently swapped out my tail light harness and took out my gauge cluster. I got my harness back in and works. But when I put my gauge cluster back in i realized my gas gauge is off. I've tried cleaning the ground, unplug power and short it to ground. Everything is working but when it's working fine the needle is at the 1 o'clock position. With no ground goes to the 5 o'clock position, and when I short to ground it's at 3/4 of a tank. Please help?

Dr.Exhaust

Mar 31, 2020
Flint, Michigan
Hi form Flint Michigan. I'm also a new member. Did the gas guage work properly before you removed the cluster? If it did the problem probably the guage itself. If your not sure, you can pick up a fuel tank sending unit at any of your local auto parts store. But you'll need to lower your tank down and see if you have a 2 nipple or a 3 nipple sender.

Austin_West_78

Apr 5, 2020
Hi form Flint Michigan. I'm also a new member. Did the gas guage work properly before you removed the cluster? If it did the problem probably the guage itself. If your not sure, you can pick up a fuel tank sending unit at any of your local auto parts store. But you'll need to lower your tank down and see if you have a 2 nipple or a 3 nipple sender.
Yea everything worked as it should taking it off had the gauge itself out of the cluster as well. Then decided to put it back it and when I turned the key it then started to act up.

Dr.Exhaust

Mar 31, 2020
Flint, Michigan
well to start without spending money, I would pull the cluster back out and clean the tabs on the guage and circuits with some 1000 grit steel wool and clean with some rubbing alcohol, and make sure they are making good connection. You might wanna check that ground and your reference wire again just to make sure nothing got pulled on and is making a bad connection

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!