Which coil over setup

scorpion

Frequent Racer
I put a 540 Dart in my 80 Malibu drag car last year and now the launch is totally screwed up. I think the extra 80# on the front is preventing the weight transfer that I had before. I currently have Moroso trick springs with 3/4 coil cut off with QA1 single adjustable shocks set 4 clicks from softest setting. I only have room for 10.5 x 30 in slicks. I am trying to spec out parts to lighten the front and don't know which way to go on coil overs. I can't afford a complete TRZ setup so am looking at some of the following parts: Speedway chromoly upper arms, 67 Camaro 2" dropped spindles, TRZ aluminum steering arms, Strange disc brakes, sleeve ball joint mount on the lowers, reinforce lower arm, narrowed Pinto rack and pinion, and then, which coil overs????? I see some coil overs that mount in the stock location to the frame. Others would use new shock mounts on top. I need some input. Thanks guys.

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
Do you have any video? You might just need to tighten up the front shocks? With the extra torque and power, your front end might just be jumping up way too fast, hitting full travel, then bouncing back down and spinning (it all will happen within a couple tenths of second, hard to see with the naked eye). It's a common sympton of running too loose of a shock (especially when combined w/ the trick spring). The QA1 bolt-in Pro Coil setup using their R series shocks would be a decent setup for you if you decide to go coil-over.

Also, FYI, if you plan on running a stock-style camaro drop spindle, make sure whatever uppers you buy are adjustable. The camaro spindle angle is slightly different than a g-body spindle. With non-adjustable uppers, you will have a ton of shim in there to get the camber correct. We've used that setup before... but with one of our Pro uppers that is adjustable.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts