Which mounts for zz383? Need help.

85elcamino

Aug 5, 2005
Tampa,FL
Im putting a zz383 into a 85 elcamino with the stock motor mounts. BUt it seems to me that the mounts are way too high I have like 3 inchs or more clearance between the oil pan and the crossmember. Now the headers aren't fitting. Which mounts do I need to get? corvette mount might be lower? somebdy please help im lost on this one thanks.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
85elcamino said:
Im putting a zz383 into a 85 elcamino with the stock motor mounts. BUt it seems to me that the mounts are way too high I have like 3 inchs or more clearance between the oil pan and the crossmember. Now the headers aren't fitting. Which mounts do I need to get? corvette mount might be lower? somebdy please help im lost on this one thanks.

Sounds to me like you have truck motor mounts (clam shells). Truck motor mounts set the motor higher in the chassis then car mounts.Try a set of car mounts .You need the ones that bolt to the motor not the frame.

85elcamino

Aug 5, 2005
Tampa,FL
you were right about the car vs truck mounts I guess thats what I had . so i ended up getting these http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ENS-3-1114G&N=700+0&autoview=sku and these http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TRD-4233&N=700+0&autoview=sku were the only ones i could find . ended up working out great and lowered the motor down quite a bit but had to modify the frame pads .cut the ears down on the top and welded washers on to shim it for a tight fit & about an inch shorter motor mount bolts. all this just to get the headrs to fit oh well heres pics.
temp034.jpg

temp035.jpg

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
Looks like you just converted over to early-style mounts (pre-1974ish). The kind that have the rubber isolator built into the engine-side of the mount (vs. later style mounts that have it captured in the frame-side of the mount).

If you wanted to keep using the later style mounts you just needed to order the car-style clamshells that bolt to the engine and drop it in on the existing/stock frame mounts. GM still sells the original clamshells for the Malibu.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts