Window tinting question.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I want to tint the windows on the 78 El Camino. Has anyone tinted their own windows? What are some of the challenges in doing them? Or should I hire someone to do it? Thanks 78Elk

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i haven't tinted but I've done some larger decals and it looks similar.that being said I'd give it a try and see how it went.worse case it comes out bad and i take it off.pop on YouTube and see if it's worth a look.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thank you. I'll check out you Tube and see what I can learn. I know I need to find the right color thickness to work with state regulations.

Reactions: melloelky

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
In NJ and PA, there can be no tint on the windshield or front side windows, only on the other windows. Each state will have different laws.

I tinted the windows in my old 1983 Malibu wagon in the mid 1990s. It was easiest when I took the windows out of the door and removed the hatch, and tinted them on a table. The large rear side windows were more difficult. Use lots of soapy water. Don't use a hard plastic squeegee or it will leave scratches (my experience). Use something like a silicone squeegee with more soapy water on the squeegee side of the tint.

Don't use ammonia-based cleaners on the tint or it will change the tint to an odd reddish color. That was the effect in the 1980s and was seen in lots of cars in Florida when I lived there; I don't know if tint has been reformulated since then.

Reactions: 78elk and melloelky

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!