Wiring 2 gauges to 1 sender

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
Might sound odd to some, but I have a dilemma. Question is, can I connect two electronic gauges to one sending unit. Specifically oil pressure, water temp, and tach signal from MSD 6AL. I am pretty sure the tach one will work since it is just a sin wave signal...correct? As for the water temp and oil pressure, I have Nordskog senders for my digital gauges that just provide a resistance reading i believe. Can I connect my Dakota Digital control unit to the same senders @ the same time and get correct readings, or will I run into problems here. I want to have the dash fully functional, but don't want to remove the other gauges that are already in the factory radio area. Thanks!

Jackstand

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 6, 2003
KANSAS CITY, MO
mean78malibu said:
Might sound odd to some, but I have a dilemma. Question is, can I connect two electronic gauges to one sending unit. Specifically oil pressure, water temp, and tach signal from MSD 6AL. I am pretty sure the tach one will work since it is just a sin wave signal...correct? As for the water temp and oil pressure, I have Nordskog senders for my digital gauges that just provide a resistance reading i believe. Can I connect my Dakota Digital control unit to the same senders @ the same time and get correct readings, or will I run into problems here. I want to have the dash fully functional, but don't want to remove the other gauges that are already in the factory radio area. Thanks!

depends on if the senders for the two diffrent types of gauges are the same.. why not do away with one set?

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Jackstand said:
mean78malibu said:

depends on if the senders for the two diffrent types of gauges are the same.. why not do away with one set?

I can't read the oil pressure and temp easily on the dash with my helmet and harness on, but I can see the set down by the radio easily so I want to keep them. I just want the dash to work for also, but I probably won't even connect the senders right now. I want to keep a clean dash even though I only race. The only thing I want to not be street legal is the fact I don't keep a current registration :roll:

Oh, and I think the senders are the same types for both sets of gauges.

trbulnt

Daily Driver
Jan 11, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Technically, yes what you are asking can be done. The problem comes into play with the output of the sendors and what type of signal the gauges are looking for. If you are certain that both types of gauges use the same sendor, than tap into the line and see what happens. All the gauge is doing is converting the sendors signal to a visible source for you to read, the sendor doesn't care what it is sending the signal to. Hope that all makes sense.

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Thanks for the input. I am just going to take my oil pressure sender tonight and make a fitting for the air compressor to test it out. I will hook it up to the dash since it is what didn't come with any senders. It is all flare fittings so I should be able to test it out quickly and tell if the sender signal is interpreted correctly :D

James Bond

Dragway Regular
Dec 26, 2005
Earth
mean78malibu said:
, and tach signal from MSD 6AL. I am pretty sure the tach one will work since it is just a sin wave signal...correct?!

the msd will output a square wave. you would need an adapter to get a sine wave.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts