Would it be wise....

A

Anonymous

...to go ahead and buy that kit off ebay and rewire my car? I know my rear tailight could use it and I'm sure I will have to run new wires to the engine for the MSD, Fan, Water Pump, etc...

It seems like a smart thing to do while I'm going to be running wires anyways, and doesn't seemed TOO complicated. Anyone been in my shoes...Advice?

Thanks!

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks
if your going to wire up a whole car, personally i wouldn't go any other way than painless wiring, so easy, fast, and if something is messed up,its so easy to fix.

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
I second the vote for Painless wiring. rewired my 66 chevelle a few years back and it was pretty much idiot proof and I am not to swift when it comes to wiring. :lol: Very nice kits!

El Coolmino

Top Fueler
May 11, 2005
DSM IA under a green truck
Completely rewiring a car, while not difficult, is extremely time consuming to do right. From the sounds of it, you're a ways from needing to rewire the whole car. A couple of well-done fixes might be a good option.

Most that end up rewiring the car are doing it for 2 reasons. First group, race cars force a rewire because 90% of the car's electronics are aftermarket. Second group includes guys like Z man, when your car gets to be 40 years old, the wires and connections fail from cracks and force a rewire. Most G bodies are at least a decade from needing rewired due to age.

Good Luck!

A

Anonymous

the way i am going

http://www.itsasnapwireandcable.com/new_page_6.htm
this is the kit i am doing right now. all wires are marked like every 6" and yes...its very time consuming. i have about 5 hours in the underhood area alone, and thats just lights and minimal stuff. but i did hide everything i could in the top of the fenders too!!!
$$$ well spent in my opinion....i could buy 2 of these kits with $ to spare compared to painless...and these guys are in daytona too!
rob

A

Anonymous

Re: the way i am going

84cutlass357 said:
http://www.itsasnapwireandcable.com/new_page_6.htm
this is the kit i am doing right now. all wires are marked like every 6" and yes...its very time consuming. i have about 5 hours in the underhood area alone, and thats just lights and minimal stuff. but i did hide everything i could in the top of the fenders too!!!
$$$ well spent in my opinion....i could buy 2 of these kits with $ to spare compared to painless...and these guys are in daytona too!
rob

Hey thanks for the link...this place seems to be a little cheaper than the EZ2Wire ones I was looking on Ebay. Are you pleased with the quality of the one you bought? And is it sufficient to wire most of the electronics you could put in a car??? Just want to make sure I get the right thing since this is my first time at this!

Thanks

A

Anonymous

yep

TONS of wire length. quality seems very good. alt to batt source (starter solenoid for me) is even 8 gauge too. the kit i used has a LOAD of circuits i am not going to use, but for the $$$ i will zip tie them up and save them for later possibilities. i am pleased so far. been fairly easy and the instructions are ok, but they do have the 800 help ### too.
rob

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
I used the ez2wire set from ebay, i was very pleased with it, it looked great and the wires were much better gauges than the factory, everything is a lot beefier, and I did it on my 78 elky so it is not too hard took a few days is all. The best part is the wires have their puprose printed on them every 2 or 3 feet so it is so much easier to tell what you are doing.
I did it because my dues box was shorting and also my gas gauge was not workign with my headlights on....as you can imagine there were other problems, and I am sure they could have been fixed but now it is a much better system and I don't have to worry about piggybacking aftermarket parts or accessories onto my old wiring anymore.

I would say in my opinion it is one of the better thngs to do to an old car, it would at leat give you some piece of mind that things were OK.
-Josh

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts