what all wiring in the dash that can be removed safely?

billetss

Amateur Racer
Jan 23, 2004
twin cites
I just deleted the a/c box and duct work in a 84 regal and I see alot of wires and vac lines,can the pcm be removed since I'm going to a bbc.i'm trying to save all the weight I can?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
You can remove all the wiring on the passenger's side of the engine compartment. If you're planning to run electrical gauges, you can use the existing wiring that is for the factory gauges/idiot lights, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to run new wiring for them. If not, it's kind of like running an old, used fuel filter with a new fuel system. It may work, but probably wouldn't give optimum performance.

Are you planning on running lights, etc.? A good place to start is to get a manual with wiring diagrams for the car. I haven't cut anything at the bulkhead near the brake booster, but everything on the passegner's side is gone.
DSC02363.jpg

DSC02366.jpg

It really depends on what you are really planning to wire with the car. If you're sticking with the column switch, turn signals, etc., I would leave everything on the driver's side alone.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i removed all kinds of wiring from under my dash. i took out the a/c and heat controls, radio, ecm, and all the power accessories. i traced every wire back to the fuse panel and took it right out.

dev1360

Frequent Racer
Dec 22, 2006
East Alton, IL
I just followed the wires and ended up just pulling handfulls of wire out. If its not signals and lights, I don't need it.

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
How much weight are you guys dropping?? Considering taking out my ac box, dont know about the underdash stuff... Might keep it if I decide to put the box back in....

A

Anonymous

I have a box that has almost every piece of the interior wiring that comes in a 86 Monte. I can weigh it on a house scale if you are interested?

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
I am curious as to what kind of weight I would drop if I removed the ac/heater box, and the under dash ducts/wiring...?? My malibu still has the heater core installed and functional, considering removing it all and plugging the intake when I put in the new aluminum radiator...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts