12 Bolt swap questions

Hooligans

Weekend Racer
Aug 28, 2011
Belfair, WA
First off is it worth it? I have a 83' El Camino that is getting a BBC swap. I towed the truck home and then started to think...... would this rear axle be worth it. The rear axle is a 70's 12 bolt. I know that the truck 12 bolt has a smaller pinion then the car, and that all mounts would need to be fabbed since it is currently a leaf sprung rear axle.

I guess where I am going is ... I know most prefer the 9" but they are a pretty penny and this axle is free. I know it will need to be narrowed but what are your thoughts on this? Can it handle the power?

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
Is it a car 12 bolt or truck?
If it is a car then yes it is worth it, truck no.
Basically all you would need is a diff D/S and u-joints, 12 bolt swap arms, diff B/S rims (unless you plan to narrow) and your all set. This is for the car 12 bolt.

Hooligans

Weekend Racer
Aug 28, 2011
Belfair, WA
yeah unfortunately this is from a truck. I was familiar with the top ears but wasn't sure what the options were

Hooligans

Weekend Racer
Aug 28, 2011
Belfair, WA
So... with that option out the window, I am going to hit up my local pick-a-part. What rear axle would be ideal? What vehicles... strictly cars or are the trucks an option also?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts