12" brake - drop spindle?

78 LS1 TT

Weekend Racer
Oct 2, 2007
Carrollton, OH
I found out from a gentleman last night that the 92-96 spindles will work. Just seemed weird that they dont sell drop spindles for 77-90 if they are the same as the 92-96. May be because the 77-90s had the 10.4 inch brakes except the heavy duty models. Kind of pricey at $411 from summit but thats what ill be running instead of drop springs. Thanks for all the help.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
StreetBu said:
Just to make sure, I looked up the AC Delco part numbers for three cars. A 96 Impala SS takes S6 inner bearings and S7 outer bearings. I looked them up for an '80 caprice wagon w/diesel, takes the same part number inner and outer bearings, Looked them up for a '92 Camaro with the 1LE option, takes the same part number bearings...... Not sure what else would be different except the spindles for the Impala SS will have a hole/mounting location for an abs sensor which of course the older models wont have. I dont see any reason why they wouldnt work.

That makes sense. The Wagons had 12" rotors, just like the Imp SS. The rotors for the 12" B-body & the 1LE F-body are a swap. I initially had the B-body rotors as they were a LOT cheaper. I completely forgot that the 5 on 5 bolt pattern wouldn't work. :oops: AFAIK, the 12" B-body & 1LE F-body rotors are the same other than bolt pattern.

Tommy

78 LS1 TT

Weekend Racer
Oct 2, 2007
Carrollton, OH
Well I got it done. The 92-96 Caprice spindles work. Same ball joints and tie rods as the 78-87 A and G body's. I used 1LE rotors. Drop spindles are pricey at $411 but I got a complete used setup from a gentleman. dancin_banana.gif

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Cool, glad we could help, BUT, you forgot one thing....pics!!! :)

78 LS1 TT

Weekend Racer
Oct 2, 2007
Carrollton, OH
OK next problem. It is all on and as stated by someone else. I have way to much camber. I called one of the suppliers I use for stock car arms and he said he doesnt make one that will work. The Hotchkis arms are over $700. Does anyone know what length control arm I need or if there is another supplier out there that is cheaper. Stock arms are 8 inches and the stock car arms come in 8 inch or longer but he will make any length I want but he is worried about the ball joints binding. #-o

78 LS1 TT

Weekend Racer
Oct 2, 2007
Carrollton, OH
I found Global West has them for them for $610. Any other ideas?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I HIGHLY suggest either the Hotchkis or Global West arms. I've heard of people using arms for dirt cars from speedwaymotors.com, but not positive which ones, and they arent "curved" just straight so they will hit on the frame when you lift the car up or go over a big bump...Your decision.

gbodystuff

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2009
Iowa
The speedway arms are NOT meant for the street-they are for dirt cars and the metal is not as high tensile strengthwise. Anybody who does these swaps (of which I have done a lot) needs to realize that buying aftermarket arms are a must. This swap has to be looked at as a $1000 upgrade overall no matter how you look at it. I prefer Hotchkis only because they were the first out on the market and I have never had issues with them. There is talk about bumpsteer issues but from my experience, it is unfounded. However, I incorporate other areas of improvement whenn I do these swaps which include a quick ratio gearbox, shorter/heavier load rate front springs, shorter anti-sway bar links, bigger anti-roll bar, adjustable front shocks, 17-18 inch rubber all around and new poly bushings in the lower a-arms. If you look at it from a total system approach, you'll see a much more dramatic change in the way the car handles. I spend a lot of time on handling tho so for me it's fun!

78 LS1 TT

Weekend Racer
Oct 2, 2007
Carrollton, OH
I picked up a set of hotchkis arms. My swap is done. One note to everyone. Use the brake hose brackets on the frame from a B body and the lines will work fine. I could not get the lines to work with my G body brackets.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts