1978 malibu with tpi

Don Vance

Oct 15, 2021
Hi every one, Don R from sw Ohio (Cincinnati) here.

My late brother Dave built this car and drove it daily. It has a 267 small block with a tpi retrofit. I have been trying to sell it for the estate but it has developed a starting problem. I am currently trying to get the fuel pump working again. I believe I have found the bad fuse and will be trying to get the car running again. It is sad because it was running smooth just a couple weeks ago.

I have learned a lot about gm fuel injection. It has been an interesting topic, although a real pain figuring out how in the he!! he made this work. I believe he used a painless harness and a 87 camaro tpi. I wish I would have been around to see him do the work. I never expected him to go so quickly. RIP big brother.

So my big question is, may I post the surplus parts on this thread? I have a mess of parts that have to be sold. Please advise.

malibu1.jpg
malibu2.jpg
malibu3.jpg
malibu4.jpg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Hi Don,

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. Was he a member here? It wasn't KillerDave8813, was it? He was from Cincinnati and I thought he had a 267 Malibu with a 6 speed. I may have 2 users mixed up.

There is a classified section in this forum:

Don Vance

Oct 15, 2021
Yes Killer Dave, he went way too soon

I have the malibu running again, it turns out I must have knocked the power wire loose that goes to the distributor, not sure why it doesnt clip in there better, must be old age like the rest of us.

That and I replaced the fuse in the wiring harness along with swapping out a fuel pump relay and it seems good to go again. And I dropped the tank to check the fuel pump for no reason. It must be just part of the process of paying my dues.

Looking forward to getting some tags and insurance and takng this v8 6 speed for spin around the block.

Don R

Reactions: 78elk

Don Vance

Oct 15, 2021
Well we went ahead and sold the malibu. My buddy bought it and says he will be painting it soon. I will be glad to see it still around. It's still in my garage at this point but will be heading down the road soon. I hate to see this car go. My brother and I took it on many trips to see family over the past ten years. It was always fun and we always got a lot of attention. I am glad to see my buddy John got it. Best of luck John.

The good news is we have another malibu, an 81 with a 350 and a muncie 4 speed. I have been planning on building this one for me if things work out. I call this one the race car! I will post a couple pics and probably start a new thread in the spring for this one.

Anybody interested in a south west ohio malibu cruise in? Have a great day. Don Vance

Don Vance

Oct 15, 2021
Spring will be here soon, I have the title for the 81 malibu in hand with my name on it, hope to tag & insure it soon. It has developed a starting problem also, no spark. Been thinking a new msd distribitor with a msd ignition system with a rev limiter. Should be a fun project! Weird, it was running fine and has power going into the distributor.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!