1998 GMC AWD Safari

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
My aunt has a '98 AWD Safari. The front end always feels like it's binding/front diff is locked when the wheels are turned... long as I can remember it's always done this. Is it normal?

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
my 4x4 truck does that when I have the 4x4 on cause it has a locker in the front diff. I wouldnt think that it would have a locker style but more of a limited slip or an open front diff. So :-k

A

Anonymous

Mine never did that, but I have herd from a few others that they had the same thing happen.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
Are you sure it's the front end. My '03 used to bind at what I thought was the rear going around corners or in the parking lot. Turned out to be the transfer case

I did some surfing and joined www.astrosafarivans.com. Turned out there is a TSB on the AWD vans to swap out to a newer type transfer case fluid. I followed the procedure, updated the fluid, and the binding is gone.

skostur79

Amateur Racer
May 22, 2006
ne ohio
sounds like transfer case shudder

1. pull the front driveshaft and road test

2. you can try a drain and fill With gm autotrack fluid (greenish-blue fluid)

if its real bad the clutch pack will need shimmed

hope this helps ,

hypeboy

Daily Driver
Aug 4, 2011
axisg said:
Are you sure it's the front end. My '03 used to bind at what I thought was the rear going around corners or in the parking lot. Turned out to be the transfer case

I did some surfing and joined http://www.astrosafarivans.comparts for gmc Turned out there is a TSB on the AWD vans to swap out to a newer type transfer case fluid. I followed the procedure, updated the fluid, and the binding is gone.

I have reviving out threads out there but just a heads up to the poster. I had the same thing way back a year ago. Just later i end up with this thread but that's going to be a normal issue according to some discussion sites i read there. Mine was tough though because the warranty has expired yet and i don't have the right to claim it to the dealership. The thing i did was to replace the specific part with the mechanic's assistance.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts