2 switches on one relay?

El Coolmino

Top Fueler
May 11, 2005
DSM IA under a green truck
Can a standard 5 post bosch style relay be triggered off 2 switches?

What I want to do is have driving lights under the back bumper that can be triggered by either a switch, or by the stock reverse lights. And no, I wouldn't do this to a g body, it's a tow rig question. Want them to operate on a day to day basis for backing with tinted glass, and want a dash mounted switch so the truck can idle in park while hooking up a trailer, with the driving lights on to help out.

I'm concenred about the stock circuit back feeding between the switch wires. Will a pair of diodes allow both switch wires to coexist peacefully on one terminal? Or is it just easier to use 2 relays.........

Should I team all 4 lights for the single relay?

Thanks for any opinions

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Just wire the manual switch in parallel across the stock reverse light switch. Then you can use either one to energize your relay.

Tommy

A

Anonymous

you can accomplish what you are looking to do with no problem. what you are going to need to do is:

• get two- 1 amp diodes, place them next to eachother so that the silver stripe is on each is pointing the same direction

twist the sides with the sliver stripes together ( it will nowlook like a "Y")

connect the twisted side of the diodes to 86 on a 30 amp SPDT relay

now connect one of the open legs of the diodes to the 12v reverse light wire, and the other leg to a switch, on the other side of the switch you connect 12v (constant or ignition, whichever)

The rest of the relay wires as follows:
    87 - fused battery 12v (depending on size of the lights, I recommend 15-20 amp fuse)

85 - chassis ground

30 - 12v out to your aftermarket lights

87a- not used

This method will not only isolate the switch from your stock reverse lights, but it also eliminates extra draw on your stock reverse light wiring. Normal size lights like i think you have, (approx 5x3) you should have no problem using one relay for 4 lights, but I would recomend using 12 gauge power wire for the battery feed (87) and the output (30) and bumping the fuse up to a 20-25 amp

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts