3spd. shifter adjustment

dphipps

Daily Driver
Jan 21, 2009
So the situation is a little hard to describe... So I'll try my best here.

Basically, it works fine and if there's no way to fix it then it doesn't really matter to me. What is happening, is when I go to put it in first gear, instead of going directly left and down, it's as if there's just a hair too much free-play in neutral so I have to push left, but then instead of being able to go directly down into first, I have to push up just a TINY bit and then I can go into first.

I had a look today and it didn't really look like anything was adjustable in the shifter itself, and I don't really think adjusting the linkages will do anything so I haven't tried that yet. I did lube up the shifter though so it's extremely smooth now, just this one little thing bugs me a bit.

So is there any fix to this? maybe a rebuild kit? It kind of looked like plastic bushings in there but I didn't look too closely.

It's hard to describe, but any feedback would be appreciated.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Exactly what type of 3spd shifter are you working with? Floor? Column?
Factory? Aftermarket? Let me know as I may be able to help,Later,KillerDave

dphipps

Daily Driver
Jan 21, 2009
Ahh, sorry. 3 spd. manual trans, floor shift.

I sprayed a fair bit of lube in the works and after having driven it around a bit it seems a bit better for this, not to mention it's smooth like butter.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
There's a minor chance that it could have something to do with the shifting mechanism inside the trans (synchros, etc.), but there is adjustment on the shifter arm itself. Look at where the rod connects to the shifter (not the selector on the trans case side), and there should be a pair of nuts if it's an ITM shifter (going completely off memory here, so I may be incorrect). That's about the only adjustment you'll find for it.

dphipps

Daily Driver
Jan 21, 2009
Ya after thinking about it again, I think if I just adjust them a little bit it might make the shifter sit just a tiny bit forward when it's in neutral and it would get rid of the problem.

After lubing it up it just keeps getting better, but it is still there. It's not a big deal at all but if it's an easy enough fix then why not?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts