3spd manual question

dphipps

Daily Driver
Jan 21, 2009
So my old truck had a spring between the Z bar and the throwout fork, but after doing a bit of work to the malibu today I noticed it does not have this spring, even though the setup looks very similar. The Z bar does have a hole with a plastic grommet, like my truck did but I don't see anywhere on the malibu throwout fork for it to hook onto.

I still have the clutch setup from the truck and the fork on that has a bracket for the spring to hook onto. Might be able to just rob that if necessary.

Should there be a spring there?

Any info would be great. Or a picture would be even better.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Originally, the Malibu had a spring betwen the end of the fork and the frame. In my opinion, the forces are not in the right direction/location with this setup, causing the fork to twist and the release bearing to scrub the bearing retainer. I found that connecting the spring to the header or manifold and drilling a different hole for the spring results in a more correct setup.
http://garage-scene.com/my-rides/1983_malibuwagon_photographs.htm#release-fork-mod
Wherever you connect the spring, it will ensure your pedal does not bounce/vibrate while driving.

Additionally, you can benefit from a spring between the fork and the lower arm to help keep the pushrod in the fork pocket, but the other spring is sufficient 99% of the time.

dphipps

Daily Driver
Jan 21, 2009
Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. So in the link he's got new holes drilled, then does the spring go back to the Z bar or to the exhaust like you mentioned?

dphipps

Daily Driver
Jan 21, 2009
Oh! Sorry about that. Well I'll have to find some springs now and see what I can do.

Thanks again

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
they sell assorted spring kits in the HELP section at autozone may not be the correct springs but think they will work they also com in different lengths and spring tension

dphipps

Daily Driver
Jan 21, 2009
The HELP stuff does have lots of good little things, but I found a spring in the garage that worked good. No idea what it's from, probably not even a car but it will do for now!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts