400 trans in 79 El Camino

ratengine

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2008
Chicago, IL
I have 400 trans installed. I'd like to get a crossmember that will fit. Looking for a used one anyone have one ?.I have a crossmember that's modifed but the mount is short of reaching the mounting bolt hole about 1" I can drill it and make it fit. or extend out trans mount with a steel plate to reach. Any ideas?
Thanks. I did a search I see some other have had this promble.

A

Anonymous

You can get a crossmember from an '82 or newer G-body with an overdrive and extend the drivers side frame rail with some heavy wall box tubing.

The ICEMAN crossmembers for this swap are excellent pieces though and money well spent.

I put one in from Summit several years ago when I swapped in my TH400. The TH400 crossmembers come with the double hump crossmember and the frame extension. These pieces are heavy duty!!!

This is the summit crossmember. These are nearly identical to the ICEMAN pieces.

sum-770303_w.jpg

you should email ICEMAN and ask him about the crossmember: [email protected]

These are the summit crossmembers: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-770303/?image=large

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
The Summit crossmember is a G-Force, or copy of it. It doesn't look anything like an Iceman crossmember. Your info, I believe, is inaccurate, Lee

A

Anonymous

I haven't seen any of ICEMANs crossmembers lately so I may be wrong as of right now.

Several years ago there was a fight going on between him and g-force because his crossmembers were pretty much identical but oddly enough didn't cost near as much.

Pic of Rick's (ICEMAN) crossmember in 84cutlass357's car...

dsloopclearances002.jpg

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. The crossmembers on Iceman's web site look different than the Summit or G-Force. They're round tubing and much lighter than the Summit. By the way, what brand is the driveshaft loop in the picture you posted? Thanks, Lee

A

Anonymous

A few years ago he had crossmembers like the g-force ones on his page. I'm sure he would still make them if someone asked for one. Once summit bought out g-force he was pressured to stop selling them if I remember correctly.

I don't recall where the loop came from. I have one like it that is offset for the longer TH400 tailshaft. I will have to go back through my posts and find the one where I got the loop.

79malibusbc

Dragway Regular
Aug 21, 2007
old bridge new jersey
i believe rick (iceman) got sued by g-force they said he copied their crossmember that they had a patent on. g-force sold their patent to summit thats why summit got them. ricks new crossmember is chrome moly and only weights 7 pounds here are some installed pics

crossmemberbmp3.jpg

crossmemberbmp2.jpg

crossmember.jpg

A

Anonymous

Wow!!!

Love the lightweight version. I might have to give Rick and email when I can afford a new one.

I can't find my post where I bought that thing. It had to be at least 4 years ago when I bought it. Those posts are archived I guess.

Here is the one I got. I think maybe they are not the same manufacturer. I bought this one from a guys website that refined his stuff on his monte. This one is offset to clear the longer tailshaft on the TH400 and still bolt in the factory holes.

b568b22b.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts