6.5 bs 15 x10 with 325s

tubage

Frequent Racer
Dec 29, 2006
missouri
strengthtruth.com
I have done a lot of measuring and I believe it can be done. I have seen it on the montes but I do not know what the differences in the wells are. I know it will take a full notch and tubs but it seems like there should be enough room. Any first hand experience? If I am wrong I would rather know before I order my wheels. All input is appreciated. Chris

tubage

Frequent Racer
Dec 29, 2006
missouri
strengthtruth.com
I was reading through some older posts and came across this. The snow is almost gone and my extra frame is wanting some attention. I think I will end up narrowing part of my rails but with a smaller diameter rear coil, I think I can fit it completely under the car. My main guideline is to retain stock rear suspension mounts and stock style components. Any thoughts or arguments. My only concern is the depth of the backspace may interfere with lower arms or shocks. If anyone has already proven this either way, their input would be appreciated. I will be running a moser bolt in 9 inch. Thanks, Chris

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
IMO that is too much backspacing. I am in the middle of a notch with 325/50 M/T drag radials. I have a 69-70 Chevelle 12-bolt, which is 2.5"-3" longer than your bolt in 9" hosing. I have 6.5" b.s. 10" wide wheel and the tire fits ok in the wheelwell but not as far in as I would like it. With my rearend I have enough room to go another inch of b.s. but don't think the 6.5" b.s. will work with a stock length rear end. The 325/50 drag radial will definitely fit inbetween the frame and fender, but you will have to do a full notch to the inner skin and some bracing to the inside of the frame rail. If you want to do some measuring I think the section width of my 325/50 drag radials on the 10" wheels is a little over 13" wide. I'll have to measure one to make sure.

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
Use a 15x10 with 5.5 inch b.s., notch the frame and mini tub it and you should be good to go.

tubage

Frequent Racer
Dec 29, 2006
missouri
strengthtruth.com
Thanks for the responses. I tend to agree with both of you, however will the 5.5 inch bs fit under the car without the lip trimmed? I really want it to look like it should be there. Tom, is that what you run in your photos? If so, some shots from behind from 15 or 20 feet would be greatly appreciated. Malibulvr , I have 12ish inches from the stock frame to the fender lip. That is split about half with the axle location. I have to admit, I know I can make it work with the 5.5 bs. I just have never seen one done. I have seen the two montes on here, but never a malibu. Where I live, definately not in person. Thanks again for the responses. Some photos would truly help. Thanks, Chris

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
Chris, the lip was trimmed already when I bought the car. We ordered my rear a half inch wider than stock in an effort to keep from cutting my factory tubs. Therefore, the tires would rub if the lip was not trimmed on my car. Now, if I had cut my stock tubs and the rear was a half inch narrower, I might be able to clear the lip without trimming, but can't say for sure since I don't know how far it stuck out to begin with. I am running a 28x12.50 ET Street, and they are pretty close to the frame on the inside. I don't see anyway you could retain the stock rail with a stock width rear and 6.5 inches of b.s. Here are a few pics.

100_0696.jpg

100_0689.jpg

100_0676.jpg

100_0690-1.jpg

100_0752.jpg

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
Yes sir. My cousin runs the same wheel but with 6.5 b.s. on his Mustang. I posted a pic in the "Gallery" forum under the thread New pics of my Malibu.

tubage

Frequent Racer
Dec 29, 2006
missouri
strengthtruth.com
Awsome. Thanks alot for the pictures. How much clearance do you have from your lower control arms and shock mounts? I am logging off for the evening but I will check in the morning. Thank you again, Chris

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
Heck Chris, I never thought to look. LOL. They don't rub on the rim. lol. I will try to snap a pic tomorrow afternoon. The tire will rub on the tub sometimes going up an incline. This would not have been an issue had I mini tubbed the car. I just really didn't wanna cut my tubs out. I live with the minor, occasional rub instead.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts