700 R 4 Shifting

wukong

Daily Driver
Oct 28, 2003
Panama City, FL
I have a 700 R 4 than now refuses to shift into high range. I attempted to pass another car and the transmission down shifted and accelerated and then would not shift into the higher range. I will shift into reverse and will drive forward into either 2nd or 3rd but will not shift further.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter and speculations as to the fix. I hope I have not blown the transmission.

cleetus

Amateur Racer
Sep 5, 2006
NJ
You saying it won't go into 4th at all, or just at WOT?

My 700 will not go into 4th gear at WOT, and unless you change some kind of valve inside, yours probably won't either.

The very first thing I'd check if it won't go into 4th at all, is that your linkage to the transmission is definitely moving the lever into 4th/OD and not hanging on 3rd.

When you come to a stop, does the trans 'clunk' into the lower gears? If it does, you're in 3rd, not 4th.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
TV cable bracket may be bending or not allowing full TV cable pull when throttle is fully depressed. Check TV adjustment. You can try a click or 2 looser on the TV adjustment to see if it corrects the problem. Tighter causes later/firmer shifts, looser cause earlier/softer shifts. Too tight can cause no shift, late shift. Too loose can smoke the clutches very quick.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!