700 r4?

80malibu350

Daily Driver
Nov 11, 2009
hey guys i have the oppurtunuity to buy a ready to go 700r4 transmission that i just need to swap out for my 350 because im thinking about building my 350 into a 383 possibly but for sure a built 355 this winter and the guy is a good friend of mine and only wants 250 bucks for the transmission if i give him my 350 as a shell? i think it sounded like such a great dea and am defiantely looking at it is it worth it?

Regulator

Daily Driver
Sep 21, 2008
i think so, OD is always a plus! just remember your crossmember, drive shaft, and torque converter will need to be changed along with the transmission.

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
Make sure its the 88 or newer case(4L60), pull the pan off it and you should see one large valve body in the front and a smaller one in the rear. The older 700's were bad about eating rear planetarys, the newer case design has a secondary valve body just for the rear planetary. If you are going the overdrive route make sure you get the later valve body, much better transmission to build if you choose to do so in the future! You will want to add a transmission cooler unless you have one already...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-Hydramatic
The original version of the transmission had a 27-spline input shaft which was a common failure point. In 1984, 700R4's designed for use behind Chevrolet small block V8's received a 32-spline input shaft similar to those found on classic TH400 transmissions and which also used a different torque converter than its 2.8 V6 and 2.2 L4 powerplants. Between 1984-1987, internal components, from the ring gear to the oil pump housing, were updated, ending with the auxiliary valve body (for 700s manufactured after October 1986).

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
I just did this swao a few months ago.the 700-r4 came from a 1991 donar.......no issues with it all and it was built buy transmission shop that specializes in race trannys.My car has 514 HP and no issues at all. with 4.10 gears in my car at 65 mph I buzz around 2200 rpm's. Just make sure you have the TV cable hooked up properly and it will be worth the money top buy the TV geometry corrector and linkage brackets....As far as your driveshaft is concerned you will have to cut it three inches as the 700-r4 is 3 inches longer then the th-350. 49 1/2 inches is what you need from center of U-Joint to center of U-Joint.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!