700R4 Rebuild and upgrade Questions

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
I need a rebuild 700R4 for a project car. Ive never rebuilt a transmission before. I will be using stock replacement clutches and steels and a dacco Torque converter. My upgrades will be Super duty Band 2.25 inches wide, 3/4 clutch pack upgrade, TransGo 2-3 Shift kit, .500 Boost valve and a Corvette servo. Heres my questions, Should I Go with a .300 boost valve, Upgrade the pump vane count? A`m I missing or need anything else and is something not needed.. If I don`t do it my self at least I now what to ask for when I talk to my Tanny Guy. I m looking for a 700R4 that will take the abuse my TH350 has over the years. Thanks Doug

malzer

Amateur Racer
Aug 31, 2010
Gettysburg Pennsylvania
Do you already have a transmission?

I use these transmission's in several of my vehicles and when I look for a core I try to pick up 1987-1992 700R4's that have the upgraded pump and 30 spline count. The early 27 spline pumps we're prone to failure. I am not a transmission guy, but I believe that these where the main concerns with this transmission.

Later.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I seem to recall something about the sun shell (right term? I'm not huge on transmissions either)? I'll be looking into some of these upgrades myself for mine in the future. Right now it's living ok behind the 383 and normal driving + a little spirited driving (taking it easy when it shifts), but I want to try to help it live longer because I don't really have the funds to drop into a complete rebuild.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
The TransGo 700-2&3 Kit should have the .500" TV Boost valve & .300" Low/Reverse Boost valve. Fairbanks #70015 Kit is good also>> http://superiortransmission.com/Product_Page.cfm?ID=138
10-Vane Pump is fine. 13-Vane Rotors are weaker & more Vanes = less fluid volume..
The "Beast" Reaction/Sun Shell is needed, comes with a custom clearance Bushing. Add a Wide width Sun Gear bushing.
It's best to use Full thickness Steels & Friction clutch plates, thin ones don't dissipate heat well.
87-93 700R4's have the most factory upgrades, 30-spline Input Shaft, Auxillary Valve Body etc..
Unless you're going to install a new Reverse Input Drum don't get a wider Band, it will burn the outer edges. Use a standard width Alto Carbonite PowerBand or Red PowerBand. Stay away from the Kevlar, it's too hard & doesn't grip as well. Borg Warner Hi Energy Bands & Clutches are good also.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
SSedan64 said:
The TransGo 700-2&3 Kit should have the .500" TV Boost valve & .300" Low/Reverse Boost valve. Fairbanks #70015 Kit is good also>> http://superiortransmission.com/Product_Page.cfm?ID=138
10-Vane Pump is fine. 13-Vane Rotors are weaker & more Vanes = less fluid volume..
The "Beast" Reaction/Sun Shell is needed, comes with a custom clearance Bushing. Add a Wide width Sun Gear bushing.
It's best to use Full thickness Steels & Friction clutch plates, thin ones don't dissipate heat well.
87-93 700R4's have the most factory upgrades, 30-spline Input Shaft, Auxillary Valve Body etc..
Unless you're going to install a new Reverse Input Drum don't get a wider Band, it will burn the outer edges. Use a standard width Alto Carbonite PowerBand or Red PowerBand. Stay away from the Kevlar, it's too hard & doesn't grip as well. Borg Warner Hi Energy Bands & Clutches are good also.
Hey, Thanks for the information, It will be big help. Doug

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts