7531 digital 7 slew rate

buschmec

Amateur Racer
Jul 7, 2003
panama city florida
slew rate is not traction control, it is what it says, a slew rate for rpm. and yes you can run it with nitrous as long as stupidity doesn't take over, I would not recommend you running any nitrous through that motor until you are familiar with the workings of the dig-7. it can be tricky but in the long run it will be a better piece. as far as cranking issues , recheck the settings in the tree to verify the settings are where you left them. the7530t is a traction control detection box and if it sees an odd change in timing ( such as cam walk with a msd coventional distributor) it will retard the timing permanently. the only way to clear the code is to leave the ignition on for a 24 hour period. go to msd's website for more questions regarding this( forums). if the adrl pronitrous promods all run the 7531, shouldn't you.

DB

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2006
Alabama
Your best bet is to figure out the launch retard and 1st gear retard. Launch retard is probably all you'll need.

If it's an n/a motor you can use the slew rate. It's simply a programmable rpm limit over time. Some call it traction control but it controls engine rpm climb. I can do that with a timing ramp as well so it's not traction control in my mind, it's simply power management.

The slew rate doesn't agree well with high hp n2o or blown combos. The cylinders load up on fuel if you stay on the "dots" for an extended amount of time. For me, if I'm on the slew for more than 1.2 seconds it will spit out a headgasket so the engine has to be tuned to track conditions regardless. The n/a motors are not as sensative to this so they can work well with slew rate. Try the launch retard first. Once you get it down you can always save one of your good runs and build a slew curve for a back-up. It's very hard to describe over the net, you pretty much have to have someone familiar with all the tricks to walk you through it.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
The slew rate certainly isnt the end all traction control that alot of people think it is. Like others have said, figure out how to manage the power with the other ignition retards in the box. You can make that box do all kinds of neat things with some wiring tricks.

chris406

Amateur Racer
Jul 20, 2005
There are a few guys over on http://www.yellowbullet.com that have made a few posts about this. Search for "the Dots" the topic was started by Denny Savage.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
I crew on the same car as Denny (Will Stevenson's Outlaw Drag Radial Camaro). Here is a little secret, Will hasnt used "the dots" on his car in a looooong time ;)

DB

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2006
Alabama
"The DOTS" are what we refer to as the rpm/time limit or slew rate. If the car's engine accelerates faster than the pre-programmed limit, the box will drop cylinders to keep the engine in this preset range. The downside is "the dots" will eat up gaskets, bearings and sometimes pistons in n20 or forced induction cars if you lean on them. They are illegal in some classes because an N/A car can ride them for a while and dial in the et perfect for index classes or control wheel speed in something like pro-stock. A power adder car and "the dots" do not get along.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
Dusty, Will never hurt anything on his with the DOTs, and neither did Denny with his nitrous motor. It wasnt saving the car from spinning either except for on a rare occasion.

DB

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2006
Alabama
If your on them for a short period of time, your OK. I have seen some tune-ups where the car will ride them for 3 seconds and these cars always have headgasket issues. I can ride them for .5-.7 seconds and be OK. 1.5 seconds and it'll spit a gasket out everytime. A lot of the tuners are finding the dots do more damage than some may think.

Big blocks will be less prone to do this compared to a small block.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts