79 Malibu Carb to EFI Fuel System Help

96gt4.6

Daily Driver
Feb 9, 2014
Looking for a little help on going from Carb to EFI on my '79 Malibu. I currently have a Carb'd GEN III Heads/Cam 6.0L setup, and i'm getting ready to go over to EFI and Turbocharged.

My question, can I just bolt in a Grand National fuel tank into my '79 Malibu? If so, this would be the simplest solution for me at this point. I know the Gbodies went EFI and there are other solutions. I have reviewed the Father/Son project page, and that route is viable as well, although they do not denote the line size of the hanger assembly (5/16 or 3/8th's). I prefer the Grand National setup as I am finding it's 3/8" line, and with my HP goal this is my preference.

http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=100893

Any information on this swap is greatly appreciated!

sarbra1980

Daily Driver
Mar 16, 2014
I used a Grand National tank when I went fuel injection. Also used a GN sender but modified it. Racetronix also makes a sending unit to fit GN tanks. I ran 3/8 from sender to 6 an for supply and return. I will warn you that my tank has the fueling issue that has been discussed here. Has to do with baffle in tank I think. I have to add fuel very slowly because I didn't do the modification that others have done. Also I bought a Walbro pump from Gbody parts. Setup has worked without issue (except fueling) for 3 years now.

sarbra1980

Daily Driver
Mar 16, 2014
Also the stock sender is 3/8 supply and 3/8 return necked down to 5/16 for the hose to fit. That's one reason I modified mine. There is a special in tank hose that must be used to hook up pump. Most auto parts stores have it. Made by gates I think.

96gt4.6

Daily Driver
Feb 9, 2014
Great information, thank you for sharing!

I have read some information about the aftermarket tanks, such as Spectre (O'Reilly's, Autozone, ect) having issues with the internal baffling not being the same as the Original Equipment Grand National tank, causing driveability issues on low fuel levels, is there any merit to this?

Right now, the Spectre tank with Racetronix dual pump setup is the route i'm looking at, with the mentioned vent mod for the fueling issues.

sarbra1980

Daily Driver
Mar 16, 2014
I have the spectra tank. I've never had any driveability issues, but I usually stay above 1/4 tank. The only issue that I know of is the baffle that causes fuel to splash out when filling if you don't do the modification.

96gt4.6

Daily Driver
Feb 9, 2014
Awesome! Thank you so much for the help. Looks like i'll be ordering the Spectre tank and Racetronix sending unit/pump assembly.

sarbra1980

Daily Driver
Mar 16, 2014
Glad to help. Hope it all works out. I would have used the Racetronix sender had I known about before I did my install. Same with the mod to fix the baffle problem. Something else that I was advised to do was run 10 guage wire back to the pump. Looks like Racetronix offers harnesses too. Good luck with the swap to FI. Are you using factory or aftermarket computer/system?

96gt4.6

Daily Driver
Feb 9, 2014
Sounds great, I will review those modifications as i'm coming together with this tank setup into the car.

I'll be using a stock computer to run it all. I take the factory harness and seperate out every single cicruit and depin it from the PCM, then lay each circuit on the car to each component, then trim it to proper length to the PCM once it's all mounted. Once done, remove and loom it all nice and neat so it looks factory. Here's my last project. It's a 6.0L Turbocharged GEN III Chevy, in a '97 Ford Crown Victoria with a 4L80E. 600 rear wheel HP. Trapped 123 MPH on 14 psi. I surprised a LOT of Corvettes/Mustangs and such with this car....and 4 people in at at the same time! hahaha. All the factory gauges worked, cruise control, ect.

More videos if you check my YouTube username, but here is an underhood video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA4_nimv50s

And here is my Malibu as it sits currently, about to go EFI and boosted as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxuweTLBaZE

96gt4.6

Daily Driver
Feb 9, 2014
Tank and pumps work great! Thanks for the help guys! Ended up doing the Racetronix Dual 255 setup and the Grand National tank.

pumps1_zps97fad2e6.jpg

Finally got it down the 1320 as well! This is on 9psi/pump gas/13 degree timing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRFz-loW1uY&list=UUr7LaomBm-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Footbrake only launch, I got shut down for no roll cage so I didn't get much of a chance to practice boost launching. I'm confident it would have went 10's on a boost launch.

Screenshot_2014-09-26-21-47-52_zps0kxetuyz.png

So now I need to make some modifications to the car including a roll bar. However i'm torn on the rear axle....should I do C clip eliminators, or just get aftermarket stronger axles? I've read the 12 bolt axles are tough as nails, but just don't want to risk an axle shaft failure and losing a wheel....but at the same time I really don't want to cut up the 12 bolt car housing ends to install the c clip elims.....

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!