81 Malibu control arm setup question

novadragr

Daily Driver
Aug 17, 2009
Elmore, Alabama
Starting to work on the malibu, and will hopefully have the body off in a couple days of tinkering, which is when I am going to clean the frame up, put some fresh paint on it, etc etc. Question I have is for those that have set up for drag racing and such. I plan on running a 28x10x15 or 28x10.5x15 slick on a 9" rear. I am going to get some good control arms from one of the great sponsors for the site here. Should I be getting the double adjust uppers and lowers, or will just the uppers do? The reason I ask, is mainly because I want to know if I will have to shift the rear like a person does on the F-body cars, to get a good slick clearance without having to trim out the quarter panel. If I can get by with fixed lowers, that would be great, but if I need em, I need em. Whats the word?

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
You should be able to fit that tire without moving it forward or backwards. Considering the price difference though, it's better to have the option if you need it.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
I'm running all edelbrock rear control arms and they work really good and the prices were pretty fair. plus i'm running et street 28x11.5x15 and they fit real easily with a stock width diff and 4"BS wheel 8"wide.
Brian

Norm Peterson

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2003
state of confusion
I would get them.

If it turns out that you ever have to adjust the uppers much to get things to fit, you'll steer the rear axle slightly (because the lowers are skewed). To steer it back so it's perpendicular to car centerline you'll need to be able to adjust at least one of the lowers.

Norm

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
It would be best to get the adjustable uppers that way you can set your pinion angle and a set of non adjustable lowers will work great. We offer both the upper and the lowers with bushings, or bearings. The bushings are a very high durometer so they can withstand the abuse of daily street driving or going to the track. If your car is strictly a track car the bearing arms would be a better choice for you. They have zero deflection and will give you better performance in a high horsepower car over the bushings. If you have any questions please give me a call.

Attachments

• Uppers-small.jpg
    Uppers-small.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,028
  • G-BodyLowers-small.jpg
    G-BodyLowers-small.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,012

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Hello
I noticed that you are interested in control arms for your Malibu. I would suggest seeing how you are going with a aftermarket rear end I would highly suggest going with a set of adjustable uppers and lowers. Going with this particular set up will eliminate and binding issues that may occur. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_60_71&products_id=90

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_60_70&products_id=86

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_60_70&products_id=87

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad :D

Hiway

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 9, 2005
Enola Arkansas
I would think someone needs to make things right with 5-door

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86449

His rep around here far exceeds most and deserves an answer

novadragr

Daily Driver
Aug 17, 2009
Elmore, Alabama
That has nothing to do with my question...take your concern to them on your own thread, please. Not that it doesn't need looked at, but hijacking every thread they post on, is not the way to go about it. Thanks.

Hiway

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 9, 2005
Enola Arkansas
Well newb, not so much a thread hi-jack as it is a heads up to one of our sponsers from which you might purchase something. Good products....obviously, good service from good people....questionable. Yes, if you plan to buy uppers and lowers, spend the few extra bucks and get adjustables. Keeps you from going there later.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!