83 wagon 2-door conversion

jma2

Sep 24, 2010
I'm sure someone has done this conversion. I would appreciate any tips or warnings about trying this. Wanting to use El-Camino door and post for a (55-57) Nomad look. All thoughts welcomed.

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL
I saw one done once at the super chevy show at route66 speedway, it was a red wagon with the coupe doors. i talked to the guy about it and i remember him saying he used el camino 1/4's and obviously the coupe doors. maybe look into a salvage elcamino with clean sheet metal. good luck, take lots of pics. im very interested in seeing how this turns out.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
search around on here,it's been discussed a few times w/pictures and there is a diffrence between the wagon/el camino windshield posts etc etc.take a look.

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
For the Nomad look, I would graft the wagon roof to an El Camino. Use a wagon tailgate.

Just seem to make a lot more "structual strength sense" to me. No doors to weld shut. No quarters to graft on and no windshield A post issues.

Here's a link to an image of what you are thinking.

You decide:

8)
bukweet

Last edited by a moderator:

81Regal

Top Fueler
Jul 7, 2003
NW Iowa
x2, it would be much easier to start with an Elky.

woody31

Frequent Racer
If you are serious about doing this,,i have a near complete elky that I was gonna send to the crusher at the end of the month,,,no drivetrain,,very solid foundation,,Ill sell you the shell and frame for $300.00
Let me know if you are interested...