95 Caprice rearend, will it fit

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
Found a 95 Caprice parts car that has a complete disc brake rear end and want to know if it will fit in my 79 bu? I'm guessing that I will need new uppers and new rims(different back spacing) and shorten the driveshaft but other than that will it work?

Don't know if it is posi,what gears. Before I call the guy was just trying to get some input on the fitment.

I have a 7.5 now and was going to put in a better rear so the new rims/uppers/driveshaft issues were going to be there anyway so, I am not taking those chances into account for the expence of the swap.

Input anyone

big-angry-hillbilly

Amateur Racer
Mar 28, 2009
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Is it a Police Package (RPO 9C1), Civilian (RPO B4U) or Impala SS (RPO WX3)

The diffs in those cars are different widths.

If anything was to even come remotely close, I'd bet on a police package diff (they are the most narrow) but you'll still be likely over 2-3" too wide on each side. I cfan't find the measurements offhand, but 1566mm wide sounds familiar... (61.65 inches.)

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I believe this is the one they said was a fairly easy fit, but I'm not positive. They drilled out the extra hole (an inch or 2 in front of the original hole on the axle-end of the uca) and it went in ok, you may need spherical bushings for it though. Also the backspacing, but you can have it shortened to stock width also. Some B-Bodies came with 7.625" rears, so double check if it's actually an 8.5, I don't know if disc brakes were 8.5-exclusive.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts