A/C condenser for LS swap?

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Well the wagon is finally back from the body shop and now its time to put it back together.

One of the first things I have to do is put the cooling system in (radiator, hoses, fans, relays). But before I do, the A/C condenser has to go in. The stock A/C condensor has the inlet/outlet on the drivers side. But with the LS engine, the compressor is on the passenger side. So to make running the hoses cleaner and easier, it would be nice for the I/O to be on the pass side.

I heard that the Grand National condenser has the I/O on the pass side, so I did a little research on Rock Auto and if the pictures are correct, it is on the pass side. But according to the dimensions, it's slightly shorter and slightly longer than the stock one.

Has anyone done this A/C condenser swap and do you know if it will fit or did you use another condenser?

Thanks!

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
The cutlass and regal ones fit great

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Sorry for the bad response was on my phone. The inlet and outlet are indeed on the passenger side. I've heard of people using 3rd generation F-body AC lines and bending them to work but I really didn't feel the need to find some and then have new hoses put on. I ended up using the original high pressure line, heated the aluminum to bend it the way I want. With the compressor I've got the AC lines can be clocked and then brazed to the adapter fitting just as the originals were. I cut my hose the length I needed and had an AC shop do the lines for me. I just need to braze the high and low pressure fittings along with a high pressure switch port.

Attachments

• 529695_10151314068243577_866391774_n.jpg
    529695_10151314068243577_866391774_n.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,999

lt4malibu

Pro Stocker
Feb 22, 2004
NJ
Last edited by a moderator:

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Thanks, you have a lot of great detailed info there. I'm going to have to go back to that when i'm ready to get the A/C going as that is pretty close to the bottom of the list right now.

What I'm seeing is from these pictures is that everyone has the A/C compressor high mounted. I used the BRP motor mounts and crossmember kit and the low mounted A/C compressor cleared the frame rails with no problem. There was even no issue with the lines out of the back. As you can see the lines come out of the back and one comes across the top and the other comes out from underneath.

lt4malibu

Pro Stocker
Feb 22, 2004
NJ
on mine the F-body compressor would fit but the lines couldnt be bolted to the back of the compressor. the holley bracket had just come out and i actually had an R4 compressor new in the box. i had read some of the variable displacement compressors couldnt really keep up with the older system which is why i went the route of the R4(because it actually came on the g-body). even on the hottest days the a/c was ice cold, worked better than my truck that was 30 years newer lol

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
I'm going to stick with what I got for now, see how it works, and if it can't keep up at least I have a solution to fix it. Thanks again!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts