ahhhhhh

Bubuseventy8

Dragway Regular
Jul 26, 2003
Springfield, TN
facebook.com
ok have a problem my car won't start won't kick over its dead....that said the headlights work but the radio doesn't. I replaced the ignotion switch... heck I replaced the whole column and added all new electrical when I did. I replaced the starter solenoid and I'm pretty sure there is some wiring problem somewhere. Odd thing is I drove the car and came back to it three days later and it was dead I thought it was the battery but it checks out fine, so does the starter. the only thing left is the Fusible link... Only thing is nobody i know can tell me what I need to do and the morons at Autozone and Oreillys and every other parts store has no clue as to what I need. So who wants to give me some advise so that maybe before Christmas I can drive my bu-Collin

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Do the headlights dim when you turn the key to the crank position?

If the headlights stay bright, but the radio, heater and turn signals don't work, it's either the bulkhead connector, fusible link or ignition switch connections.

If the headlights stay bright and the radio, heater and signals work it's not the fusible link. Check cranking voltage at the "S" terminal on the starter. If you get 7 volts or more, it's the starter. If 7 volts or less, check cranking voltage at the ignition switch solenoid terminal. If you get 7 volts or more, replace the purple wire from the ignition switch. 7 volts or less, replace the ignition switch.

If they dim, check the voltage at the battery while cranking (key in "Start"). If you have less than 9.6 volts, test the battery. If the battery is OK, repair the starter. If you have 9.6 volts or more, put the (+) lead of the meter on the engine block and the (-) lead of the meter on the (-) battery terminal. If you get .5 volts or more with the key in the crank position, clean/tighten or replace ground cable. If you get .5 volts or less, check the cranking voltage at the "B" terminal of the starter. That's the one that the (+) battery cable is connected to. If you get 9 volts or less, clean/tighten or replace the (+) battery cable. If you get 9 volts or more, check the bulkhead connector and fusible link.

The fusible links are the 2 small wires with the black plastic barrel shaped thing on them coming from the "B" terminal on the starter. One goes to the alternator and the other one to the dash connector at the ignition switch. They're both red. Check them individually by using "Ohms" or continuity on the meter. Disconnect the (+) battery cable from the battery. On "Ohms" you should read near 0 or 0 if it's good. On continuity the meter should beep if it's good.

Tommy

Bubuseventy8

Dragway Regular
Jul 26, 2003
Springfield, TN
facebook.com
so Tommy if I'm going to the parts store to get a new fusible link any ideas on a part number or reference or voltage? I think we've found it but I need to make sure of what I'm replacing

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
my fusible links are just wires about 20 gage and have a ring to attach to the starter post, i may be wrong about the gage but that should be close. long story short you can make your own.
-Josh

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
So, what was the problem?

Tommy

Bubuseventy8

Dragway Regular
Jul 26, 2003
Springfield, TN
facebook.com
the fusible was burnt and the ignition switch on the column was acting up as well. I got the car running with the tilt wheel column installed only to find out on dissassembley that the upper bearing in the column is missing. so I'm off to the junkyard in the morning to try to find the right pieces to be able to drive the car by friday on a date.....she says she like the 350Z but I think she likes the Malibu better! :lol:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts