anybody have a problem with ford 9 .moser axle leaking

clint

Top Fueler
Oct 10, 2008
brodheadsville,pa
i have had the axle's out of my ford 9 inch this week .the car i bought came with a quick performance 9 inch with moser axle .the guy said he had a leaky axle seal which he had replaced.really its more of seal and bearing together it looks like to me.the seal does look brand new but took it to a car show last weekend and the whole wheel and well were covered in axle fluid.so took apart clean everything up put a nice thin layer of rtv on the seal and reinstalled.drove it to work and a still have a mist of fluid over the wheel again.it is 100% better then last week but i would like it leak free any help would be great or am i just stuck with a leak rear .

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
I don't know about a street car but on a dirt car every time I've ran a non floater axle I've had to install something in the axle tube near the center section. Any company that sells to dirt track racers sell the seals I'm talking about.

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
Mine has the same problem, looking for a solution as well

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I had Moser c-clip axles in my 8.5. I sent them back. It cost me $50 to try them out!

They leaked on both sides, but more on the right than the left. I changed brand of seals...no change. I put it to the fact that the seal surface was not polished like the OEM axles. Moser disagreed. I had them measured at a machine shop and they were slightly smaller than the OEM axles I took out. Why did it leak more on one side than the other? Because of the turnings. On the right side, the turnings drew the oil out past the seal, like a screw pump.

I was told the leaks were because my vent was clogged, but the vent was clear. I bought axles from Tom's Differentials. They were not polished, but were cut finer and did not leak.

Your mileage may vary.

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
I had the same problem with my quick performance rear. The axle bearings have a crappy plastic seal. I took my axles out after only 60-70 passes on them and had new seals / bearings pressed on = problem solved!

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
clint said:
i have had the axle's out of my ford 9 inch this week .the car i bought came with a quick performance 9 inch with moser axle .the guy said he had a leaky axle seal which he had replaced.really its more of seal and bearing together it looks like to me.the seal does look brand new but took it to a car show last weekend and the whole wheel and well were covered in axle fluid.so took apart clean everything up put a nice thin layer of rtv on the seal and reinstalled.drove it to work and a still have a mist of fluid over the wheel again.it is 100% better then last week but i would like it leak free any help would be great or am i just stuck with a leak rear .

IS it leaking from the inner or outer seal. We see a lot of cut o-rings on the 9".
If the inner seal (bearing) the only way to fix is to purchase a new set of 9" bearings and press the old ones off and press the new one on.
Also make sure you housing has an OPEN vent. A plugged vent of capped vent will push oil out.

clint

Top Fueler
Oct 10, 2008
brodheadsville,pa
i looks to be coming from the inner seal closest to the axle itself i do not think it is the o-ring seal to axle tube part .

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
Several on the MonteCarolSS site have had this same problem. Bearing seals are crap.
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=806853&Searchpage=3&Main=84673&Words=axle+leak&Search=true#Post806853

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts