Anyone Using a 4L80E?

dynodanmanda79

Weekend Racer
Dec 9, 2007
Crestview, FL.
Upon the completion of a 5.3/T56 swap in my 89 Iroc, i'm gathering a parts list to do an LSX 6.0 swap in my 79 malibu. Is anyone here running the 4L80E? if so did you have to do anything to the transmission tunnel due to the size of this monster?

Thanks, Dan

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
I know an 4L80 will fit in a 4th gen firebird/camaro body w/out much mod to the tunnel if any, but it does require a different cross member in a F-body, so it may mount different in a G-body too? They are pretty bulky transmissions for sure, but I'm not 100% on how much bigger physically they are over say a TH-350 or 4L60.

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
I have one in my Monte. Nothing necessary to the tunnel for it to fit. I ended up just using my Iceman t-400 crossmember and welding an extension on it since I installed the motor 1" back.

dynodanmanda79

Weekend Racer
Dec 9, 2007
Crestview, FL.
Ok sweet, thanks guys!

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
I run one as well, 4L80E fit with no problems, and I run 1" back as well. I've got to get the right crossmember though :(...On a side note, if your wiring harness is not set up for the 4l80e you may want to go to speartech.com and get the adapter piece, and then when you have the computer redone, just tell them 4l80e.

HTH
Leroy

pmgm

Amateur Racer
Jun 2, 2007
OH
blubaldmontess said:
I run one as well, 4L80E fit with no problems, and I run 1" back as well. I've got to get the right crossmember though :(...On a side note, if your wiring harness is not set up for the 4l80e you may want to go to speartech.com and get the adapter piece, and then when you have the computer redone, just tell them 4l80e.

HTH
Leroy

What crossmember do you currently have? I picked up a g-force crossmember for a 400 and I would like to try and make it work...

Thanks

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
Sorry about the delayed response, mine is an iceman 200r4 old school crossmember (the really big ones that are like cast iron lol). It works fine, again a little tweaking will probably be needed but it'll work. Good luck

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts