Audio wiring techs enter plz

A

Anonymous

I am rewiring the stereo in my car, because I am 2nd questioning the idiot that done it last time since it caused my dash lights to go out, I have a green, purple, and blue wire left over from the stereo, and I have a gray wire left over from factory wiring, what do these wires do?

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
the blue wire sounds like the power antenna wire, and if you don't have a power antenna then don't worry, it could also go to an amp. The other three are kind of a toss up, I've installed more stereos in my friends cars over the years than I care to remember and they are all differnt. I would guess they could be your continous power wires, so they would go to a full power spot in your fuse block, so they can keep power in the stereo so your presents and clock stay correct. I havr no idea what the grey wire is for, but I can guess it might be for the factory Dim on the radio...I think you can jmust ignore it because there is no dim function on my aftermarket stereos. I hope this helps, sometimes the company just adds extra wires for more speakers and amps so they could all do nothing.
Good luck
-Josh

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
When I get home, I'll check my wiring diagrams and see what the grey wire is for. As far as the radio goes, generally the red wire & pink are +. one of them being ignition. the blue is for an amp or power antenna, other than that the rest should be for the speakers. That would be my guess. You should be able to look up wiring schematics on the internet for that specific radio

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
The gray wire is a factory dash light feed.

A

Anonymous

Can that gray wire be ran to power to restore my dash lights? or was it used just to turn on the radio illumination?

shvrolay

Dragway Regular

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts