Axle in housing play? Need help asap!

bustedknuckle

Dragway Regular
Mar 4, 2008
St. Louis-Missouri
So i pulled the rear end out to put new adjustable control arms,adjustable shocks,drum brake kit and girdle support cover on this 7.5 I have and i'm not sure if the play in the axle to housing is ok to run like this. The rear is complete and supposed to be ready to go but i wanted to freshen up a few things. Got the drums off and realized that the drivers axle would pull out of the housing about a 1\16-1\8 of an inch or more, The passenger axle is about half that. And the center pin in the posi unit has alot of wear on it from the axle coming in and out and contacting the pin.

I am far from knowing what is suppose to be right in an axle but I dont think this is acceptable. Am i wrong? If not what can i do about fixing this problem? Is there different sized c-clips or is this a bearing problem? Im not sure where to go from here and need to get this rear back in so I can put the car back in the garage before it rains on me. ( no weather stripping on the car yet)

Thanks again guys!

Picture282.jpg

Picture284.jpg

that little bit of play is normal, its hard to tell in the pics but if the pin is not hourglassed shaped itll be fine, you could pull it all apart to inspect to be sure, by the looks of that axle seal ide be installing new ones, that way you can inspect the axle where the bearing rides also

bustedknuckle

Dragway Regular
Mar 4, 2008
St. Louis-Missouri
The pin isnt hour glassed shaped, It just shows wear from the axle coming in and contacting it (only drivers side axle is contacting the pin). Im thinking it shouldnt contact the pin at all.

If when I would make a turn i would think slaming the axle into the pin would damage it even if its only coming in and out an 1\8".

never been into an axle before and dont have a clue as to where to go from here.

Thanks for your help

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts