Bad lobe on break-in...now what? Metal shavings + New cam

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
The sides of it look as if it got hot, almost like it was sticking or rubbing on one side... maybe that's the case?

~7879landau

Pro Stocker
May 10, 2005
It does look kind of odd. here are all of them in order. the bad one is the second on from the left. they all look to me like they rusted a little but they were all still soaked in oil.

What is the best assembly lube to use? I've used 2 diferent kinds in the past and will be buying some new tomorrow.

DSC00415.jpg

sheldonw

Weekend Racer
Apr 13, 2008
i had a similar problem last summer had about 10 miles on it after brake in and it chewed up all my bearings pretty bad. Id at least pull the rear main cap and have a look

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
spring pressure??.....i ended up pulling the middle valvespring for break in after the first screwup.

~7879landau

Pro Stocker
May 10, 2005
It is just one spring with a damper. The machine shop put in springs with the same pressure as the ones recomended for the cam. It isn't alot of lift so I wouldn't thing it would make that much difference(If it would let me know). The machine shop that did the heads said it wouldn't need any changes for the break in.
I had wondered If I should put stock(a little weaker) spring in just to be sure.

Well I just got the engine done and back together tonight but it became to late to start and run for the break in time. I will be doing it tomarrow...thats if it starts. [-o<

All lifters when I removed them checked out to be just fine but the one.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts