Basic Nitrous Concerns

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
Want to add a small shot(75-150) of NOS to my car but don't want to melt the motor. Was worried about looking at plugs,having enough fuel pressure,timing and all the other little things that go with nitrous. If you haven't guessed by now I know nothing about NOS.
The car is for drag only. I will not be using it of the line, most likely when I hit 2nd is when I'll use it. Motor is a 355 w/hypers, 11.5 to 1 and the fuel system is a Holley blue pump and reg set at 7/7.5 and using 110 sonoco

What I want is a basic system that is easy to use and install and don't have to worry about much else. Just plug and play. Is there such a beast out there or do I even need to worry about anything with the little shot that I will be useing?

Bigblockguy

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2008
ste Anne mb Canada
Run two regulators one for nitrous one for motor. You may want to upgrade to a bigger pump and better fuel depending on how much power you make on motor. A basic NOS sniper or superpower shot kit will work fine. (buy a bottle heater,nitrous pressure gauge) Most out of the box plate setups are easy as pie to install and will give you detailed instructions and the jets you need.

SS402

Weekend Racer
May 10, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
An MSD automatic timing retard is the best is most advised, it automatically retards the timing when the nitrous is activated, 1.5 degrees of timing must be pulled out for every 50hp of nitrous inhaled, run colder plugs and carry plenty of spares, nitrous eat's up plugs quick, your safe with 150 shot and 5 degrees of retard..
you'll need a purge kit, blowdown tube, separate regulators with guages for carb and NOS, 150+ GPH fuel pump, consider going with a internal bypass fuel pump or bypass regulators for your fuel return system..that should get ya started..

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
Hypers do not like too much heat,and even on a good tune up
they will eventually fail..............

Bigblockguy

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2008
ste Anne mb Canada
Best thing you can do is strap it to a chasis dyno get a good safe tune up. Then make changes at the track for weather conditions. Every motor is different so going by a NOS chart for recomended use will leave alot of power on the table. I have pulled as little as 3 degrees on a 200 shot with c16.

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
Excelerater said:
Hypers do not like too much heat,and even on a good tune up
they will eventually fail..............

I agree but I have had luck using nitrous with hypers my Heavy truck had flat-top hypers and a 175hp shot with 116oct and no timing pulled and it is still together today...... I wouldn't advise running that much but I had it on my second stage just in-case(always on the second stage :twisted: )

Chris K.

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
untill you see the damage cause by failed hypers you wont understand.....they do not melt
they literally explode into tiny peices all over the place destroying everything in thier way

crd89stang

Dragway Regular
Jun 19, 2005
attleboro ma
i def agree the worst in my opinion are the keith blacks and it is more than just opening the top ring up. Those are the worst pistons i have ever seen. Makes you wonder when you try to order a single and you cant even get one that is close to the same weight.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts