Beginners Guide to TIG Welding

Jackstand

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 6, 2003
KANSAS CITY, MO
1QwikBu said:
ok this is my first tig welder and my first atempt at tg welding ... what do you guys think ... oh i was going to get the miller syncrowave 200 but when i got there they had the lincoln 225 on sale ..... everyone tells me the lincoln is a better machine so here it is

quik how you liking that lincoln? I have narrowed it down between that and a miller synrowave 200. my buddies tell me to go with the miller but i have a nice lincoln mig so the red machine would look better sitting next too it. :roll:

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
Ok Supe. I want to go with an invertor machine so it's not taking up huge garage space, plugs in to 110, I will likely just get an air cooled torch since I'm not to "production work" and what about pulse? I've been looking at machines but you get all tied up in the accesory packages, geez. Can't make up my mind.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
If you're dead set on an inverter and need something that will run on 110, I'd go with a Miller Dynasty 200DX. It will work on 110v, but also 220v, has a VERY small footprint and weighs only 45lbs, and the DX version has pulse.

RFCS-14HD is the contractor kit that you'd need with it. Air cooled torch, foot control, hoses, ground clamps, and everything you'd need to get it up and running except your argon bottle and your tungstens.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Thermal Arc makes more reasonably priced units, but anything with any kind of power won't run on 110v.

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
Just figured a little machine would do me fine for a cage bar here or there, turbo plumming and header tubes, etc.

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
Finally picked up a machine :D Sync 200. What filler rod for CM (will it work on steel in general)? Is a 3/32 tungsten good for all around welding?
Basically have some tubing for notch reinforcment and chute ,ount along with soem wheel tubs and sheet metal repair. Praxair has $75 5 year rental on tanks right now.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
boyzbad said:
Finally picked up a machine :D Sync 200. What filler rod for CM (will it work on steel in general)? Is a 3/32 tungsten good for all around welding?
Basically have some tubing for notch reinforcment and chute ,ount along with soem wheel tubs and sheet metal repair. Praxair has $75 5 year rental on tanks right now.

ER70-s2 or ER80d2 for filler material on both chrome moly and mild steel. 3/32 2% thoriated tungsten is fine for steel.

A

Anonymous

thankfully

welding is the one thing i CAN do. went to school for it. never done it in an automotive type setting but i'll get to break it in repairing the s.o.b. frame rails on the back of my new project. they are wasted! shooting.gif

79Lemans

Frequent Racer
Jan 22, 2008
Mass
My name is Dave,I'm new to the site and know this is a old posts,but just had to say (Supe) I don't think anybody could have wrote a better post about Tig welding and the equipment than you just did,for anyone that wants to learn or already knows how.I was a pipe welder for General Dynamics Submarine Company for over 15years untill laid off in 1995 and Tig welded for the last 10years I was there.My opinion anybody that gets one of these welders might not ever weld any other way, but I want to be clear on this, other types of welding have there place in all this as well.Great posts

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts