Best aftermarket brands

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
Depends on what you're talking about.

Realistically, on most body/trim parts, there are only 1 or maybe 2 manufacturers...but many marketers. What I'm saying is that you just need to shop for delivered price on most of it. With the limited demand (big picture) for parts for these cars, not a lot of manufacturers are going to get interested in making something that is already on the market.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thanks. I am talking about the sheet metal, fenders, doors, hood, and tailgate. I was wondering if one manufacture was better than another?

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
My experience with the aftermarket fenders has not been good, but it's been a while. Hoods I think are pretty good. OE Doors are still somewhat available around here, but the reviews I have read on the new ones sound like they're pretty good. No idea on the Camino gates, but judging from the number of used-up originals, I would hope the repros were tooled to a close tolerance, since I think they would be good sellers.

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
Goodmark is not a manufacturer, to my knowledge.

Most of these parts are stamped in China by Golden Legion and others. Typically, these would be the same stamping plants that do the late model crash parts.

Like anything, the time and money spent on engineering and tooling directly affects the quality of the parts produced. The Chinese CAN produce decent stuff, in fact a LOT of late model OE parts are produced there. From what I read in the industry magazines/papers, the key is that you have to closely supervise the resultant product to ensure the quality remains at an acceptable level.

Goodmark, Dynacorn, Ecklers, Tamraz, etc are all just distributors/retailers of panels produced by a handful of overseas stamping plants.

Even as popular a part as 70 Chevelle fenders have had issues with the "repros"...which I believe was corrected by reworking the tooling. Have to figure there are a lot more 70 Chevelle fenders that will be sold than 78-81 Malibu/Camino fenders, so I would assume that the QC isn't as stringent for the latter. As I stated before, last time I tried an aftermarket fender on a Camino, it was not even close to fitting to an acceptable gap.

There are stamping operations here in the US that do vintage car stuff, but I don't think there is enough $$$ in G bodies for them to get interested. They stay pretty busy with tri-5 Chevy stuff, as do the Asian suppliers.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thanks. I assumed that Goodmark and Sherman were the manufacturing, due to retailers advertising them. Again thanks for the great information.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
7 What's the best aftermarket cruise control Drivetrain Technical 4
7 What's the best metal plug to screw in an aluminum radiator? Drivetrain Technical 8
7 What's the best place to purchase a fuel tank sender? Electrical/Wiring Technical 4
M Best way to wire fuel pump for carburetor General Discussion 1
7 Where is the Best place to attach the wire to tach Electrical/Wiring Technical 0
7 Where is the best place for wires to go through the firewall Electrical/Wiring Technical 0
7 Where is the best place to mount a Roestra cruise control General Discussion 0
D New personal best with the 'Bu and got a nitrous question General Discussion 5
T Best bang for the buck front suspension? Suspension Technical 5
A Best rear end option Drivetrain Technical 5
D Best GM 8.5 ring and pinion Drivetrain Technical 2
7 What's the best oil pan for a 73 350 ci ? Drivetrain Technical 11
gman415 Best battery? Electrical/Wiring Technical 0
D Best SBC Shorty Headers(ANGLE PLUGS) Drivetrain Technical 0
D Best Intake and Carb for SBC 400 engine???'s Drivetrain Technical 11
R best way to fix this? (quarter window channel rot) Autobody/Paint Technical 11
81rustabu whats the best looking steet/strip wheels Wheels/Tires/Brakes Technical 10
N Best clutch for Richmond 5 speed. Transmission Technical 6
H Who makes the best Door Hinge Kit? Autobody/Paint Technical 11
WhiteTrash79MC Best oem equivalent Rotors/pads replacement. Wheels/Tires/Brakes Technical 4
J best way to buy a 5.3/4.8/6.0 LSx Tech 7
B best brand of oil to use Drivetrain Technical 7
Ed Cannon Whats the best way to mount a fiberglass front bumper? Autobody/Paint Technical 2
H L92 (LS3) best swap kit for 78 malibu LSx Tech 10
C who makes the best light weight radiator support Autobody/Paint Technical 2
C were to find the best deals on mickey thompson Wheels/Tires/Brakes Technical 1
167champ What the best size? Wheels/Tires/Brakes Technical 2
bustedknuckle Best coil for digi 6 box? Electrical/Wiring Technical 1
JBreu Best Shift Kit for 700-r4 Transmission Technical 3
C best way to paint my roll cage in elcamino Autobody/Paint Technical 4
C Looking for the best et streets for rim Wheels/Tires/Brakes Technical 0
80malibucoup Who sells the best 2" cowl hoods?? Autobody/Paint Technical 6
Bigbrute wats the best control arm set up for traction Suspension Technical 2
J Best Sway Bar for street Suspension Technical 0
G best price on carb intake ? LSx Tech 3
R Who has the best lifters for a OEM Hyd Roller SBC Drivetrain Technical 2
Malibu 361 What is the best transmission fluid to use? Transmission Technical 10
8 Best Bang For tThe Buck? Suspension Technical 0
PONTIACMAN3 Anti roll bar, who is the best!!!!!!!! Suspension Technical 10
4 help with optimal gear ratio for best 1/4 et 3.42 or 4.10's. Transmission Technical 1
S Need to drop my '80 Monte a bit...best way?? Suspension Technical 7
A BEST REAR SHOCKS AND SPRING FOR A WAGON? Suspension Technical 3
Iowabbcbu who makes the best custom pistons? Drivetrain Technical 4
D Quick fuel , Proform , Demon or Holley? Which is the best? Drivetrain Technical 8
Supe Best methods of setting valve lash? Advanced Technical 11
J BEST BOLT IN 9IN REAREND??? Drivetrain Technical 20
wadedog best converter Transmission Technical 16
C QA1 rear shocks best adjustment Suspension Technical 6
3 What the best way to change the interior pastic color? Autobody/Paint Technical 1
3 Best poweradder Power Adders 6