best brand of oil to use

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL
im getting ready to drain out the break in oil on my brand new bbc, its a 477 aliminum headed '71 block with gm forged crank and medium-ish sized solid roller cam. its a street strip car, so i need a good oil for both. i used the brad penn break in oil, but i want to know what everyone thinks about different brands on here. im going to use the short wix filter with the moroso cooler and i hope all that mess will clear my hooker super comps. i was looking at the joe gibbs site, but im gonna wait to see what everyones running here...

Al

Pro Stocker
May 25, 2003
Harker Heights, TX
With a roller you don't have the same needs as someone running a flat tappet cam. Just run a quality oil and you're good to go.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
X2. Rollers don't have nearly the same demands as flat tappets. All you're really concerned with when breaking in a roller engine is seating the rings...

Tommy

lasttime78

Frequent Racer
Mar 7, 2011
Just outside Rochester, New York
x2, use conventional oil! The synthetic oils are better for the newer cars and the cheaper metals they are useing to make parts. I have roller cam and rockers, and still use Vavoline plus Zinc and phosforus additive.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i'm going to try amzoil "z rod" synthetic this year. it's made for older style engines and has a zinc additive in it already. i've been running castrol gtx and adding in ac delco's engine oil supplement for the zinc before.

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL
my engine builder recommended valvoline's racing series 20-40. he also said to keep the break in oil in there for a little longer and beat the pss out of it. also to just keep changing out the filter. anyone use that valvoline stuff?

lasttime78

Frequent Racer
Mar 7, 2011
Just outside Rochester, New York
Thats all I ever used was Vavoline racing series oil. When I started drag racing in 1992 is when I was turned onto it. We were useing the straight 50 racing series.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!