Bought a 5.3 last night

blumonte

Weekend Racer
Jul 25, 2008
minnesota
So now its time to get started. Got a smoking deal on it. My three biggest questions I have are, I am going carb, I still need to have a factory wiring harness and ecu with the MSD carb box correct?

Second questions with the transadapt motor mount adapters will the F-body headers work?

And lastly it says on the edelbrock carb kit it says the victor wont work on the 5.3, is the intake bolt pattern different or is it a port issue?

A

Anonymous

for the electronics, no you do not need anything from the stock harness. The MSD box will come with the coil pack wiring as well as the cam/crank/map sensor wiring. That's about all you need with that box. msd6010 i think it is. very simple box to hook up.

as for the front drive distributor kit, you'll use that sb ford distributor along with it. It's kind of an expensive swap with that cover being $400 and then the distributor being $200 then needing a crank trigger kit. MSD does make a converter that hooks into the crank sensor that uses the stock reluctor ring as the crank trigger, and that's like $250 in summit. So then you hook up the MSD box of your choice.

I really want to set mine up that way and use the MSD digital 7 box. Don't know which one yet though(7530/7531/7535 was listed for boosted applications)

I don't understand why the intake WOULDN'T work on the 5.3. Reason being is that there are a ton of people putting that intake on LS1 and 6.0L blocks. And there has been alot of people putting the 5.3L heads on the LS1's. Had that little bump in compression and you could find them ported really cheap. The bolt pattern will be the same for the intake. Maybe someone else knows better, but I don't think you'll have an issue with that.

Other questions I couldn't answer for ya, sorry! Good luck with the swap!!!

blumonte

Weekend Racer
Jul 25, 2008
minnesota
IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

and its in, but its a rather close fit to the firewall
IMG_0548.jpg

A

Anonymous

just curious is to why you would want to run a distributor when you dont need one ?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts