So I just bought this new battery.....

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Car has been on the road for a few weeks now and the battery I had when I bought the car just died. It was 5 years old i figured it was time.
Went out and bought one that has 1000 cranking amps. I was not messing around. It spun the starter so fast that I didnt even hear it, I turned the key and the engine was on. It was pretty cool.
Well today I noticed that the engine was cranking slow, so slow that I took it home and began troubleshooting. Battery is 11.90 volts. Turn the car on and take a reading, 10.50 volts. Disconnect battery as car is running and measure from wires , 7.50 volts. I wanted to try it again but the second time I pulled the wire off the battery the car just died.
So I went to Autozone and found out I had bought a battery that only puts out 40 AMPS. I am pretty sure that my electric fans draw 30 amps, this would explain the dip in RPM everytime the fans came on. How much draw does a MSD Digital 6 box pull? Plus gauges...brakes lights, radio. I am suprised the alternator lasted for 2 years.
I could imagine trying my nitrous out and only having enough juice for one solinoid, I bet the fuel solinoid would not have come on.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yep, dead or not charging because of another reason.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I was nearly certain on the alternator as well. Took it to Autzone to have it checked. It was dead. I also lucked out as I bought it from them and had forgotten. Duralast... 100% guaranteed for life. I got 100% of my money back.
I wonder if the car will run any better with 100 AMP alt.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
When we first got my car running we were chasing weird problems and couldn't find any answer. I sat down in the front seat in frustration, and noticed the dome light pulsing. I pull the alternator, popped another one I had on, suddenly it ran right.

Then and still, have to replace the stuff that died while trying to find the problem. Killed the coil in the distributor and the starter.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts