brake fluid question

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Ive got all new brake parts for my '81 that Im putting in tonight. Booster, master, SS lines, calipers, every single part thats associated with stopping a car. My question is should I use regular old fashioned brake fluid ? My buddy tells me I should go with silicon brake fluid instead. Any advice on which to use ??

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
If this is a daily driven car, I wouldn't advise going with silicone brake fluid.
Truthfully, I think the stopping power is better with DOT-3 or 4.
If the car is going to sit for any prolonged period of time, silicone would be fine. I realize that silicone has a higher boiling point, but not necessarily recommended for performance vehicles.
I have silicone brake fluid in my Porsche right now, and also had it in my other Porsche as well. Another benefit is that it doesn't absorb moisture like the regular brake fluid..I've also noticed that the pedal is harder with regular DOT 3 and 4, than the DOT 5 stuff. Also, the stuff is not cheap.
Just my 2 1/2 cents..
jack ;)

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
The only advantage to silicone is that it is not Hygroscopic. It doesn't absorb moisture. If you perform an annual flush, it's a non-issue. Silicone also can go "bad" and gel up. Then you have to replace whatever part of the system it fouled.

Stick with a quality DOT 3 or 4 from a new, sealed container and you'll be fine.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts