BRAKES won't bleed!!

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
Help me. I have a new master cylinder, new soft lines, new proportioning valve, and new wheel cylinders. The brak system is totally stock GM front disc and stock rear 9" drum. i put speed bleeders in all four corners. i have bench bled the master cylinder.

I crack one speed bleeder and pump the pedal. i get fluid out the front calipers, but nothing out the rear wheel cylinders.

I removed the right rear speed bleeder completely hoping fluid would find its way with gravity, but after a half hour or so of waiting, nothing. I put the speed bleeder back in and pumped the pedal for a good 50, 60 times. Nothing out the right rear brake wheel cylinder.

The fronts are working, i can hear the pads moving and squeaking. I just can't get the rears to start bleeding.

What is my next step to get the rears bled?

I found a $37.00 white vaccum plastic hand held pump at the local parts store and the guy behind the counter said that was the only tool he knew of that might work for my situation. He also said he never sold one and never used one, so i am skeptical.

Please help! I want this wagon back on the road and it's so frustrating because I know the master cylinder is good and the parts are all matched. What do i need to do to get the rear brakes bled?

78maliburat

Frequent Racer
Sep 24, 2006
cleburne texas
youre main rubberline at the rear before it t,s off to the sides ..undo it there,,take both hard lines off and put youre fingers over the side holes it the brass fittings and have some one pump the pedal and bleed off the air when you get fluild put hard lines back on you just have alot of air in the system,,old school bleeding

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Keep bleeding. YOu may need to try that vacuum bleeder you got. I've never had much luck with them. I have a Pheonix tool that I absolutley adore for problem bleeds.

Tommy

A

Anonymous

try removing the mastercylinder cap and remove the rear bleeders completely, try to let it gravity bleed... it always seems to work for me. you didnt use any tephlon tape did you? that stuff is bad news to a brake system.

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
did you bench bleed the master before you put in it? If not thats why its not bleeding.

funny because I just bled a master yesterday, it took almost 20 minutes of pumping to get the rear of the master cylinder to start pushing fluid in the line then another 20 or 30 to get it completely free of air.

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
found the problem. The brand NEW master cylinder I bought was no good. The cylinder was caught mid-way through the bore stroke and wouldn't move enough fluid to bleed the lines. Got a new master cylinder yesterday and Dad helped me bleed the brakes. Car stops better than it ever has!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts