Broken 350 th Trans

psychomotors

Dragway Regular
Mar 31, 2011
Bonne Terre, Mo
Well, he put a regular balancer and flexplate on it and says it didn't help. I guess I will be buying it. I told him I want to examine the mains first. Even if the mains are screwed up, I figure I can get the crank turned.

psychomotors

Dragway Regular
Mar 31, 2011
Bonne Terre, Mo
Well, I bought and brought it home a couple weeks ago. I have partially disassembled it. My findings so far...he used standard length push rods instead of the .100 longer ones that Procomp suggested. The crank has "INT 1900 grams" printed on it even though he insists that he bought an Ext crank.The mains look fine wth no copper showing or discoloration. I still have to take the rods and pistons out and then it will be totally apart. So far, I'm still puzzled. BUT the parts look great!

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Just went through something very similiar. Built the engine (383) years ago and just ran it this year. Had a 305 in the car before. Bought a balanced rotating assembly with the balancer and flex included of course. Was externally balanced with the balance card included. Had a very bad vibration from idle all the way up. Changed the balancer with no improvement and finnaly found I had the flex 180 degrees off. Didn't have the dowl holes in the crank and flex lined up as should have been. I hadn't driven it much in that condition so hopefully no internal damage. Smooth as silk now.

Just a thought, good luck,
Steve

psychomotors

Dragway Regular
Mar 31, 2011
Bonne Terre, Mo
Thanks, I read about someone else doing that also on Hotrodders.com I checked out the engine while it was still in the car and he had the flywheel installed correctly. Someone asked earlier if he had aftermarket rearend control arms. He has Jegs uppers and 2 pieces of 1/8" flat stock steel bolted to the lower brackets on the rearend with the mounting points lowered approx 2 inches. Its supposed to act the same as a Southside Machine bar.

Darracq

Frequent Racer
Jun 1, 2003
kansas
I broke 2 or 3 of them in my old nova, everything seemed fine with the car, i should of just put an untra bell on it instead of building new trans, didnt know better.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts