BROKEN VALVE COVER BOLT IN HEAD

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
Okay. I have my engine running like a champ. Sounds 100x better than before we did our work to it.

I have a valve cover bolt broken off into the head. Its not even sticking out. its below the surface level. I HOPE THERES SOMETHING I CAN DO TO GET IT.

I have oil leaking out of there now and its burning off of the headers..

SUGGESTIONS!PLEASE

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Try a easy out ](*,), Or drill it out :D Iv never had any luck with the easy outs. curse_sign.gif

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Use a COBALT drill bit, 1/8th or 3/16 diameter at most. Make sure you soak it first with penetrating fluid (PB Blaster is my choice)

S L O W L Y drill into the bolt shank and keep the drill bit straight.
Drill a good 3/4 inch into the stud, then you can thread an easy out into the hole.

That should back it out...

Do not blow the metal shavings from the work area. Only use a vaccum to remove the debris.

Works every time....

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
the only thing I could add to that is if you can find a reverse thread drill bit to drill it out with. I have found sometimes that drilling the bolt out in reverse sometimes backs it out of the threads rather than driving the broken bolt further in. The hardened cobalt bits are not cheap but they do last !

Oh; and I never have much luck with with easy outs either.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
axisg said:
the only thing I could add to that is if you can find a reverse thread drill bit to drill it out with. I have found sometimes that drilling the bolt out in reverse sometimes backs it out of the threads rather than driving the broken bolt further in. The hardened cobalt bits are not cheap but they do last !

Oh; and I never have much luck with with easy outs either.
x2

D&A Machine Shop

Frequent Racer
If the bolt is bottomed out then you would be better off just drilling the bolt out and Helicoiling the hole.
You would not belive how many ezouts we see that have been broken off, and when they break off then they are almost impossable to drill out because they are harder than any drill bit that you can find. When they break off then you normally have to cut them out with a highspeed carbide cutter.

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
Thanks guys. Since I didint want to take any chance screwing up. I paid a guy to do the job. I dont know what he did but I ran in my house and came back out and it was done.

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
gbodyera said:
Thanks guys. Since I didint want to take any chance screwing up. I paid a guy to do the job. I dont know what he did but I ran in my house and came back out and it was done.

That's usually how it goes... I'm sure he did one of our suggestions...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts