Can someone explain (Ford Big Ends) ?

rock

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Chicagoland area
Let me first explain (this is not for a G-body). Lets say you have a rearend (8.5 10 bolt leaf spring car) that will bolt up but the axle tubes were too long (8.5" too long = 4.25" per axle tube). Can you chop the ends off, install C-clip eliminators and run stock length axles. I know there is some measuring involved but how would you go about it. Does the Ford Big End slide over the axle tube once cut ? Can someone shed some light on Ford Big Ends. What the heck is the difference between them, what does everyone mean when they say, "I would just use Ford Big Ends !" Pictures would really help. Thanks.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
ford big ends-- are the axle tube ends that accept the press-on bearing that is pressed onto the axles that don't use c-clips. The axle tube ends have the bolt pattern for the brake backing plates to bolt on. Ford big ends is kind of confusing, should just call them axle tube ends. You can buy them from moser or strange or lots of places with just about any bolt pattern to accept gm or ford or dodge brakes. They need to be welded on after you cut the original axle tube end off. I've installed a few of them and they work pretty good. They are definitly more work than c-clip eliminators but are more of a permanent stronger leakless solution.
Brian

79Landau

Frequent Racer
Aug 28, 2005
Delhi Ontario,Canada
here's a template guide for you too

template_guide.gif

Barry 85 SS

Frequent Racer
Aug 8, 2005
Newport News, Va
If you change to Ford ends and shorten each tube 4.25" you will need custom axles that are shorter and use bearings that fit the Ford ends. Thats what I did with my 12 bolt rear, it also gives you stronger axles and eliminates the C clips. Call one of the axle Co.s like Strange Engineering and they will tell you exactly what you need.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
I found a company called autofab, they sell strange axle tube ends cheaper than buying direct from strange.
Brian

rock

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Chicagoland area
This is not helping much. OK let me see if Im on the right track. Once the rearend is cut, I need to slide these over the axle tubes and weld these on................
873-H1143.jpg

And then what do I need next? Are the axle bearings pressed on to the axels and then they bolt to the four holes on the axle ends ?

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
I'm not sure about the ones in the pic but I have had to butt weld them in the past. The last set I had were tappered. I have also went to the junk yard and cut 5" or 6" off a ford rear (to get the axle ends) and welded back on. The axle bearings are pressed on a Ford axle and bolt to the 4 bolt flange.

dasbrdr

Frequent Racer
Jan 22, 2004
Seattle, Wa
Yes they weld on after cutting. The axles will have bearings pressed on them that fit into the pocket on your part pictured. You slide the axle in, then you will have these horse shoe shaped retainers that fit in right behind the bearing and hold the axle in with the 4 bolt holes on your end piece. Definitely the way to go.

355_79bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2005
Cotter, AR
Here is the best pictures I have of my 8.5 with Moser Big Bearing Ford ends installed. My housing ends were made with a Chevy 10/12 backing plate bolt bolt pattern.

Keep in mind they have to be welded on in a rear end jig or you will have them not square with the diff.

Like others have said they require aftermarket axles to allow the ford press on bearings which eliminate the c-clips. The bearing press on the end of the axle at the hub. The outer diameter of the bearing fits perfectly inside the housing end and is held in place by a horseshoe shaped retainer. If you look at the second pic close you can see the retainer.

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts