Changing a sleeve

DREW78BU

Amateur Racer
Mar 13, 2005
HOUMA, LA.
myspace.com
I was just wondering if anyone has replaced the sleeve in a aluminum block. We had a brand new Denali come in smoking. Tore the motor down and found the sleeve has a 3 inch split in it. If GM does not call the motor back I wanna pick it up for the core charge. GM tells us that it can not be done. But I really doubt that You can't just change the sleeve. I think $600 is a pretty good deal on a all aluminum 6.2L with only 17 miles

genericname

Daily Driver
Feb 3, 2010
BEMIDJI MINNESOTA
i looked into this when rebuilding my ls1, what i came up with was that it was not common practice, but it could be done if you really wanted to.

the thing is that the block is cast around the sleeves, so you would have to basically start from scratch with boring out the old sleeve and trying to get a new sleeve to fit in a block that was never designed to be resleeved

seems to be the best choice to look for a spare block from a totalled vehicle, or try like hell to get GM to replace it

DREW78BU

Amateur Racer
Mar 13, 2005
HOUMA, LA.
myspace.com
Its an all aluminum engine. Its an active fuel management engine. Its pretty sweet looking. Vin code F

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!