Classic Landau Window Piece

Alexander

Frequent Racer
Oct 23, 2009
Iceland/Norway
I was wondering if I would remove the Classic Landau window piece what would lie beneath it?
I want to remove that and just put a normal chrome list(Don't really know what it's called in english but I think you get my idea).
Is it a easy switch?

Uploaded a picture so you definatly get my drift :D

Attachments

• 4572_88827055980_615250980_2451258_6634042_n.jpg
    4572_88827055980_615250980_2451258_6634042_n.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 5,101

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
It can be done but is a bit of a process. First you have to take the interior trim from around the window off, and you will find two nuts holding on the exterior trim on. Remove that and the window. now you will see a spot welded extension piece , drill out the spot welds and you will be left with the thin bar. you will have to find a non-landau rear glass(they are longer) interior trim, the thin exterior trim and the exterior molding.

Alexander

Frequent Racer
Oct 23, 2009
Iceland/Norway
Thanks for such a quick answer!

Well if I find the bits and pieces I need I will definatly do it, I find the non Landau setup much nicer :)

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
i am with you there i plan on the same conversion besides its alot easier to find the interior parts from a non landeau ..... nice looking car ,,,,,, what width and backspace rear rims on it ? what size tires ?? thanks

Alexander

Frequent Racer
Oct 23, 2009
Iceland/Norway
I'm not sure of the backspace and width of the wheel but the tires are 295/50R15
I'll look into the measurements on the wheel for you ;)

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
i had a malibu with 15 x 10 might have been 4.50 B/S with 295/50/15 mine rails were stock and to get them on there were air bags,,spacers,,and shock extensions liked the look but if the rear dropped it would cause havac so i took them off now with the car i have the rear rails were seam notched so the 15 x 10 might fit easier ,,,, i found this link about the trim conversion http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=81220&hilit=landeau

Alexander

Frequent Racer
Oct 23, 2009
Iceland/Norway
I'm getting new wheels though, 15x10 with 4" backspace rear and front will be 15x8 with 3,75" backspace
I also have a 9" Ford so that might change it somewhat but I don't know about that
Thanks for the link man!

mechanicmangg

Daily Driver
Dec 14, 2009
I am in need for some assistance. I just returned from Afghanistan and am starting to redo my 1981 Malibu Landau. Am running into ALOT of issues trying to find Landau parts I ordered a lot of items so far which will NOT work since I found out they are for a NON Landau Malibu.
I thought about drilling out the spot welds and removing the Landau Metal under the plastic molding, How hard is this task in doing this mod?????????
After the piece is removed will Non Landau windows fit right in no problem?
Where can I find the Center Chrome after the mod is complete?
Are there any other Mods I am going to have to do?
I really need someones HELP ASAP

Please someone help me out with my Malibu Project car I have had now for 19 years and really want to finish my car.

Thanks,
Greg
[email protected]

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
click on the link i posted above it has pics of the brackets that need removing ,,, i really cant say much as i never tryed it but i do plan on it as far as i have read the non landeau windows fit in as far as the chrome exterior part best bet would be buying used ones usually find people parting out cars in the parts section or you could make a post in the parts wanted section lastly you could try http://www.dixiemontecarlo.com they also sell repro parts for malibu,,elco and monte

rock

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Chicagoland area
Let me point a few things out just so you get it all in one post.
1. The Landau quarter glass window will not fit a regular malibu (must be changed)
2. The 2 Landau inner panel pieces (L-shaped and sail panel) are different
3. The lower seal molding (drip rail) for the quarter glass is different.
4. The outer Landau Chrome molding is different (obviously ! !)
5. There are two different options for the outer chrome trim moldings for the non-Landau Malibu.
5728071_4.jpg

normal_HPIM3658.JPG

Im not sure which years or options determined the outside pillar, but one is thinner and one is a little wider.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!